Need Multi-room Temp Control; Not "Smarts"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DBIGuy
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  1:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks - I currently have a single zone heat pump HVAC system controlled by an ordinary 5-wire 5-1-1 weekly programmable digital thermostat.

The problem I have is the t-stat is in a bad location in a mostly unused room on the sunny side of the house. As a result the temp control in the other two rooms on the shady side that we care about really sucks. Due to the building's construction, it is impractical to move the wired t-stat anywhere else other than into the HVAC closet itself.

My goal is to improve the temperature control in one or another of the two rooms. I think what I want is one wireless remote thermostat that we can put in the room where we are and have it remotely control the wired one. Or we could for convenience have two remotes so we don't need to carry the one around. Just leave one in each room and push the button to declare one or the other the master until we next change it.

I explicitly don't want "smart learning", remote control from a phone or the internet, Alexa/Siri/Echo/Cortana compatibility, or any of that noise. Our family schedule it too chaotic for any "smart" machine to ever get in sync with. Nor do I need to fiddle with "scenes", outside-the-house controls or alerts, home automation, or all the rest.

I just want to manually set the temp I want in the room where I want it and have my HVAC run accordingly.

I had considered the Insteon system until I learned that the wired heat pump stat 2732-242 was not compatible with the wireless remote 2441ZTH. Absent an Insteon hub/ISY these are just dumb units that talk only to each other and implement a 5-1-1 weekly program. Sounded perfect. Until the incompatibility problem.

So: what are reasonable product options for my admittedly limited goals? Or is there some better way to achieve my big-picture goal than the plan I've outlined?

Having internet connectivity is not desirable, but is not a show-stopper if I'm stuck with it to get what I need. So-called "learning" about our schedule is a show-stopper unless that feature can be completely disabled.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An Ecobee3 thermostat will allow you to add remote sensors to any room, although it it a smart thermostat and requires WiFi only for the initial set-up. Everything else can be set manually as with a conventional thermostat. The temperature is averaged among the remote sensors.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page