Insteon
 Can't stand this hub anymore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  12:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... But not sure I'm ready to go ISY. For a while I haven't been able to connect to older hub through android app. Logs in to the cloud fine but then can't connect to hub itself. Did a network reset (hold in button, beep, 6 taps, unplug and go) but I'm not sure how well that actually worked since the static IP i assigned is still the same. Can get to it through connect.insteon.com/getinfo.asp but not on phone app, whether phone is on or off wireless and clicking on the url in getinfo.asp gets me no where.

Port forwarding on the router is still fine to 25105 from IP 10.233.38.150.

Clearly it's alive because I can get to it in the beta site through a browser but....

any ideas?

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can purchase the cheapest ISY Series Controller and use only the basic features. Until such time as you feel you need to do more with what you have on hand.

That is the beauty of the ISY Series Controller it grows with your needs.

The Hub II is a nice Plug & Play controller for the beginner ~ Its time to move on.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 10/23/2017 7:48:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  06:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would that be one without the IR and Z Wave. Only place I have z wave is up at my moms on a door lock for caregivers coming and going and her hub works fine for that so.....

One question on the ISY, I think I read that the phone app (which is critical for me) has a yearly fee? Is that true or just some misguided posting on the interwebs?
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watson524

Would that be one without the IR and Z Wave. Only place I have z wave is up at my moms on a door lock for caregivers coming and going and her hub works fine for that so.....

One question on the ISY, I think I read that the phone app (which is critical for me) has a yearly fee? Is that true or just some misguided posting on the interwebs?

You can purchase any of the none pro units. Keeping in mind any of the base units can be upgraded via hardware / software when you are ready. If you have an iOS device Mobilinc is the preferred choice. If you have Android than Agave is the choice. The only time monthly / yearly reoccurring costs come into play is for the other advanced features and access.

I.e. Port forward access, Amazon Echo / Google Home, Push Notification, etc.

Keeping in mind almost all of these features can be had via other methods but does require investment in time, resources, and finances.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5703 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now. I did not see the Z-Wave add on board listed on the UDI site. That can be added to a ISY994i with out it.

Edited by - BLH on 10/24/2017 08:09:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I'll have to look around and see what's what. Ultimately, I need to be able to control insteon and x10 for now and I need to be able to do it from my phone remotely (android). Would like push notification in case an event triggers when i'm not expecting it to or on my camera if I see a motion even.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you're in luck the ISY Series Controller still offers native X-10 & Insteon support. The older Hub v1 supported X-10 but all other Hubs from Hub v2, Hub II don't. Since you are using a Android platform the Agave software is a solid choice. Push notification can be had using various methods whether it be Prowl, Growl, Tasker, etc.

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know, thanks! I have a bunch of old plug in lamplincs and some wired outlets that I use for the window candles and holiday lights.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good to know, thanks! I have a bunch of old plug in lamplincs and some wired outlets that I use for the window candles and holiday lights.

I would encourage you to sign up for a user account in the UDI forum. You will see lots of the same faces on that forum as here. Also, you will see how UDI offers some of the best in class service after the sale support.

Its safe to say there are not very many company CEO's that participate and offer insight and support to the end user in their forums or on the tech support line.

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  7:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken
I would encourage you to sign up for a user account in the UDI forum. You will see lots of the same faces on that forum as here. Also, you will see how UDI offers some of the best in class service after the sale support.

Its safe to say there are not very many company CEO's that participate and offer insight and support to the end user in their forums or on the tech support line.

I definitely will, thanks for the tip!!
Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  05:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raising this one up again because I can't find a great answer before I order an ISY.... If I can't get to the old hub anymore, how do I get it to not have the schedules and such that are going on since I think those are stored in the cloud. Or does the ISY just take over?
thanks!
Go to Top of Page

lakeguy
Average Member

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  05:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now also considering a hub replacement. But the ISY solutions seem to be a bit expensive and overly complex for my needs. I also have been researching integration with Google Home/Assistant. After admittedly minimal research, the HomeSeer products look like they may be a suitable Hub substitute. Does anyone use them? Feedback?
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  05:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Raising this one up again because I can't find a great answer before I order an ISY.... If I can't get to the old hub anymore, how do I get it to not have the schedules and such that are going on since I think those are stored in the cloud. Or does the ISY just take over?
thanks!

Hello,

If the hub is still operational delete all devices and the hub account. If this can't be done you can engage Insteon support to do so on your behalf. Note best practices is to hard reset all devices as outlined in the full users manual. This will ensure there are no half / full links still in place along with resetting all programming options.

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  05:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lakeguy

I am now also considering a hub replacement. But the ISY solutions seem to be a bit expensive and overly complex for my needs. I also have been researching integration with Google Home/Assistant. After admittedly minimal research, the HomeSeer products look like they may be a suitable Hub substitute. Does anyone use them? Feedback?

You can purchase the cheapest base version of the ISY Series Controller. Which also supports Google Home & Amazon Echo. This requires the ISY Portal which costs $49.XX for a two year subscription which includes the network module. Which lets you connect and integrate with other network appliances and cloud hosted services like IFTTT, Stringify, Google Drive, etc.

The ISY Series Controller out of the box supports both Insteon & X-10. It also provides conditional logic of IF, THEN, ELSE. It actually has a On board RTC and real working dusk to dawn and DST.

I can assure you if you run into any possible issues the UDI company and the forum members will be at the ready to assist.

Outside of your home and mutual funds this will be the best technical investment of your life.

Teken . . .

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 11/20/2017 05:57:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  07:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hello,

If the hub is still operational delete all devices and the hub account. If this can't be done you can engage Insteon support to do so on your behalf. Note best practices is to hard reset all devices as outlined in the full users manual. This will ensure there are no half / full links still in place along with resetting all programming options.

That's the dumb thing... On my phone it authenticates, then syncs with server but won't connect to the hub. On my laptop at home going connect.insteon.com I see my camera at the back door but any light switches just have the constant circle and won't show status on anything. So I can't say if it's operational or not. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10562 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  08:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Schedules are stored and run from the Hub, they will cease operating once you unplug it. (They are saved to the cloud only to synchronize the settings on all your mobile devices, so your tablet recognizes changes made by your phone and your phone recognizes changes made on your tablet.)

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  08:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Hello,

That's the dumb thing... On my phone it authenticates, then syncs with server but won't connect to the hub. On my laptop at home going connect.insteon.com I see my camera at the back door but any light switches just have the constant circle and won't show status on anything. So I can't say if it's operational or not. :)

Best course of action is to have Insteon support assist in the deletion of all links, scenes, and Hub user account.

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  08:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. I'm going to flip over to the UDI forum for any questions I have before I order the ISY just to make sure I have what I need
Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

26 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  3:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lakeguy

You could try HCA. They have a few different levels and the programming modeling is thorough. Lots of built in tools for handling wayward devices. If you don't have a PC, try and computer on a stick from Intel.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  7:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sutphinwb
You could try HCA. They have a few different levels and the programming modeling is thorough. Lots of built in tools for handling wayward devices. If you don't have a PC, try and computer on a stick from Intel.

Doesn't HCA require that a computer be on 24/7?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  7:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:
Originally posted by sutphinwb

Doesn't HCA require that a computer be on 24/7?

Yup. It's not standalone. I tried it a few years ago but wasn't a fan. They may have improved over time however.

Homeseer and ISY are about the same when it comes to programming except the ISY has native insteon support and works much better IMO
Go to Top of Page

watson524

250 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to an ISY and haven't looked back yet. So much easier to deal with and wasn't bad to set up for my little installation
Go to Top of Page

smfo

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  09:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to dump my hub, but it's the only way to monitor cameras around the house and various devices inside while I'm on the road.
I also have an ISY994 to control many, many insteon devices.
How can I "Dump the Hub" and still do things I need?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10562 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  09:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the ISY forum at http://forum.universal-devices.com for information about setting up the portal for remote access.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smfo

I'd love to dump my hub, but it's the only way to monitor cameras around the house and various devices inside while I'm on the road.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smfo

There are several methods to monitor your home with an ISY depending on your technological skills. The most costly requires little or no technology ability at all. At about $25/yr, it's also low cost, albeit, not as low as free.

IP cameras do not require the Hub nor an ISY at all and are best handled with an app for just that purpose and no other. Most IP cameras include a free app, although you can get top notch apps for less than $10.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page