New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smart3873
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to smarthome. All I have right now is an original Wink hub and a Schlage deadbolt connecting to it. I also have an Ecobee 3 Lite that is running independently. Long term, I'd like to have:

• Motion and/or timer outdoor lights
  • Water sensors for things like water heater
  • Door sensors

I'm also going to get some Blink cameras probably although they dont have integrations with anything but Alexa right now. On the lighting, how do I achieve something like motion activated lights? I'd want a really wide field so they come on often. Do I need an outdoor motion sensor and to change internal light switches? Or do I get smart bulbs? Will my original Wink hub be okay long term or do I need something different?

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3630 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  09:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I presfer the motion sensor and switches, but this assumes single color bulbs. I use bothe insteon and zwave devices and both would be fine here. If your wink hub handles zwave, this is the route I would take.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15785 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart3873

I'm new to smarthome. All I have right now is an original Wink hub and a Schlage deadbolt connecting to it. I also have an Ecobee 3 Lite that is running independently. Long term, I'd like to have:

• Motion and/or timer outdoor lights
  • Water sensors for things like water heater
  • Door sensors

I'm also going to get some Blink cameras probably although they dont have integrations with anything but Alexa right now. On the lighting, how do I achieve something like motion activated lights? I'd want a really wide field so they come on often. Do I need an outdoor motion sensor and to change internal light switches? Or do I get smart bulbs? Will my original Wink hub be okay long term or do I need something different?

In the long run, if you're serious about home automation, I recommend an ISY controller. If you have a limited budget, then you can start with the entry level (lowest cost) ISY and upgrade as budget permits. You do not need to buy a new ISY each time, the one you purchase is fully upgradable to the top of the line, as needed.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page