New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geekontwowheels
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  3:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Im working with a research team at my university and wed love to hear from you!

Heres the survey (its 3 questions, wont take but a minute): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdW1bU0kKhTjyr6cZtCRhC3AUWIzFmiwGZ1tX8PnuZLWrMhpg/viewform?usp=sf_link

In short, wed like to know more about the type of people who typically set up their own home automation and what can be done to make it easier for the average Joe.

Note: your email address is required but this is only to verify that submissions are unique (use a fake one if you're paranoid, we get it). After the survey closes all email addresses will be deleted - they will never be sold, given away, or otherwise distributed.

Many thanks,
Kyle

Edited by - geekontwowheels on 11/22/2017 3:08:06 PM

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which university? Who's the PI?

BTW, during my years as a PhD candidate at UCLA, there was never ever a reason to not divulge that information. I'm still involved in research and there's still no reason.

Only the source of financing (if private) and, on occasion, the purpose of the study is cloaked b)

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

geekontwowheels
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  09:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi stusviews,

Not trying to hide anything, I just wanted to keep the post short :)

We're at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, working under Dr. Qiu. He is a statistics professor overseeing several teams, of which we are one. Our team is starting with this research and will use the responses to, hopefully, begin work on a home automation system geared towards non-tech people, i.e. "the average Joe," with a focus on ease of setup and use.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  12:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm ready to respond. But your link leads to a 404 error.

BTW, statistics became my main mathematics love. I'm perhaps the first person to ever teach AP Statistics. But, that's off topic

2nd BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed Montreal and its environs (in 1963). Great people, great food. This is even further off topic

Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the British prime minister Disraeli said over a century ago, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics ..." Statistical analysis is a great tool, if used correctly. Unfortunately, it can and too often is misused to prove just about anything. :-))

GJN
Go to Top of Page

geekontwowheels
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  3:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Thanks. I'm ready to respond. But your link leads to a 404 error.

BTW, statistics became my main mathematics love. I'm perhaps the first person to ever teach AP Statistics. But, that's off topic

2nd BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed Montreal and its environs (in 1963). Great people, great food. This is even further off topic

Thanks for the heads up! I've updated the link in the original post.

Montreal is still an awesome city, although probably somewhat different from the 60s ;) If you make it back I'm sure we'll treat you well.

Stats are often overlooked in engineering (my major) but can definitely provide good insights into a problem. Unfortunately many of my colleagues try to avoid it like the plague.
Go to Top of Page

geekontwowheels
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  3:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geo

As the British prime minister Disraeli said over a century ago, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics ..." Statistical analysis is a great tool, if used correctly. Unfortunately, it can and too often is misused to prove just about anything. :-))

No argument there! Luckily for us we're not trying to prove anything, just learn about the state of affairs, haha.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  3:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Response accomplished

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page