New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  10:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smarthome previously modified the IP Camera Tool (0.0.0.1) and I could no longer access a camera using the tool. I first checked here and was told the problem was related to a software bug. I contacted Smarthome and a tech remoted in trying to download and install the required plug-in. After about 15 minutes it became clear the tech had no idea what he was doing and I asked him to stop. Now, months later I still cannot access the camera with the IP Camera Tool. I am hopeful the new owners of Smarthome will address this issue very soon. In the interim anyone know of a fix?

Mac OS 10.10.5
Safari
Firefox

Edited by - smokegrub on 11/24/2017 10:51:18 AM

rozaa
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  10:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wonder the ip address of this device. Is it 0.0.0.1 ? What class of this ip address? I think the ip should be like 192.168.1.1 ?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  11:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Info only: a local (LAN) device address is usually 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is a value from 2 to 255. 0 and 1 are reserved for the router.

Or it could be 10.0.0.Z where z is a value from 2 to 255.

There are also a few less used values.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

rozaa
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  11:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Info only: a local (LAN) device address is usually 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is a value from 2 to 255. 0 and 1 are reserved for the router.

Or it could be 10.0.0.Z where z is a value from 2 to 255.

There are also a few less used values.

so, i think the problem is the ip address of the device

Edited by - rozaa on 11/29/2017 11:44:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The camera will not load using the ip camera tool. In other words, the IP camera tool does not recognize the camera. That behavior began when I was required to install a plug-in which I cannot install nor can Smarthome. I can access the camera with its ip address using my Mac and with MobiLinc. However, I cannot modify the camera settings using the tool which is a huge problem.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  5:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The IP camera tool isn't used to modify settings. It only finds the camer's address which you can browse to (but not with Firefox) or you can click on the IP address to open a browser that will allow you to modify the settings (but not if Firefox is your default browser).

Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  07:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu, don't you think it strange that both my Mac and MobiLinc can access the camera but the IP Camera Tool cannot and stranger still that the Camera Tool says it needs a plug-in to access the camera?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually FireFox dropped support. I can no longer view any of my Foscam cameras using FireFox. As you're probably aware, Foscam make the hardware for Insteon cameras, but Insteon Labs provides the software.

Chrome, Safari and IE seem to be unaffected by the change. There is a version of Firefox that'll work, at least for a year or two. Do you need/want the link?

Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  3:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Safari does not work either

Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my continuing efforts to regain access/control of a Smarthome Camera using my Mac, I contacted Foscam asking if it were possible that the camera could be factory reset and successfully controlled with Foscam software (according to Foscam, the Foscam software allegedly runs successfully on a Mac with the necessary plug-in installed). I was asked to submit the model number of the camera. I did so, and the response I received was that Foscam had not manufactured that camera and that I should contact the seller (Smarthome). Contacts with Smarthome have proven futile with a technician remoting in to my Mac and spending about an hour “poking around” without success. Ergo, I repeat my appeal to Smarthome, “Fix this software (IP Camera Tool) problem!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page