New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drewsheez
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  08:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to smart home hubs/software/devices and am beginning my research for our home. My wife and I live in the country with acreage and outbuildings, and there have been break-ins in the area lately with sketchy vehicles driving slowly or pulling into driveways. We have a Swann 8 Camera Surveillance system on the property and recently bought a Guardline Driveway Alarm (https://www.guardlinesecurity.com/products/guardline-500-ft-wireless-driveway-alarm-w-lifetime-warranty), as we cannot see the driveway from most of the house and do not know when people arrive most of the time. Both systems work great and the driveway alarm has been a great addition to the cameras since the motion detection on the cameras fire many alerts for motion that we are not worried about.

Primary objection at this point is to integrate the Driveway alarm with some type of hub or software that could be run via Windows or Ubuntu where emails or text message alerts could then be fired. The Driveway Alarm has a 12v relay on the base, however, I am not familiar with this type of configuration and am looking for recommendations on which way to go. (Instruction Manual with setup options located on page 6 at http://manualzz.com/doc/7013727/user-s-manual---guardline-security) I think my primary issue is there are way too many options. I'd like to put something in place that is relatively easy to install, decently priced, and reliable. In the future, we may want to expand to other types of monitoring, so expandability may be nice as well.

Thank you for any information!

Drew

stusviews

USA
15777 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have Swann cameras. Don't yours have a way to send an email whenever motion is detected?

You could also connect the driveway alarm relay contacts to an Insteon I/O Linc and add that to an Insteon Hub for notifications when the alarm is activated.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

drewsheez
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  05:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

I have Swann cameras. Don't yours have a way to send an email whenever motion is detected?

You could also connect the driveway alarm relay contacts to an Insteon I/O Linc and add that to an Insteon Hub for notifications when the alarm is activated.

Thanks stusviews. We have motion detection and have alerting enabled on the cameras. Due to the number of trees/shadows/glares and being pretty windy (flat and surrounded by farmland) we get a lot of false alerts - one day we could get 2-3 alerts where our vehicles aren't detected some of the time going down the driveway, another day we could get 300 where there should have been less than 10 true alerts. That said, for our situation the motion detection on the cameras are not reliable, and will be used mainly for surveillance once I am able to identify a better solution to integrate the driveway alarm.

I'll take a look at the Insteon in more depth. I had looked into freeware HomeGenie to run on Ubuntu (Linux) that I could potentially configure wifi relays with the base unit of the driveway alarm, but heading into the unknown, I don't want to spend an extraordinary amount of time getting it configured. It might be nice to create rules to turn on the outside lights if the driveway alarm is triggered, but I may be getting ahead of myself.

Drew

Edited by - drewsheez on 11/28/2017 05:24:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

arpanshah1990
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get any smart home hub like Samsung smart things or wink hub
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly