55 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  7:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am considering switching from isy99i to hub

what are the pros?/cons?
Whats the best way to g about doing it?

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  9:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want a way to transfer anything from one Insteon manager to another, then no, it can't be done. Everything needs to be created from scratch.

The good news is that scenes you created will remain intact manually, but you'll need to recreate then using the Hub app if you want smartphone control.

You also need to recreate any schedules. And there is no programming capability, well there is if you Stringify.

Optional, why are you abandoning the ISY?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using the 99 or 994 (people sometimes mess this up)? If so I assume you are using older devices. If this is so, you may find adding and setting your devices up on the hub much more difficult than newer devices.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, there are no benefits of using the hub instead of the ISY. It's akin to having a fully loaded luxury car and trading it in on a standard vehicle. In the end it comes down to the reason like Stusviews asked. Then we could give you a better answer to whixh system would be best.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  11:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lilyoyo1

IMO, there are no benefits of using the hub instead of the ISY.

Benefits embrace a relatively easy to use home automation device that includes not only phone control, but control using an Alexa Hub without any additional cost. Neither is available when using an ISY without an ongoing fee for those services.

There are ways to accomplish no-fee solutions for the ISY, but that requires skills that are not easy for most users and are simply out-of-reach for others.

I do agree that there is little that the ISY can't accomplish, but not everyone needs or even wants that level of automation.

Personally, I can't/won't live without it

Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  2:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:

IMO, there are no benefits of using the hub instead of the ISY.

Benefits embrace a relatively easy to use home automation device that includes not only phone control, but control using an Alexa Hub without any additional cost. Neither is available when using an ISY without an ongoing fee for those services.

There are ways to accomplish no-fee solutions for the ISY, but that requires skills that are not easy for most users and are simply out-of-reach for others.

I do agree that there is little that the ISY can't accomplish, but not everyone needs or even wants that level of automation.

Personally, I can't/won't live without it

While I agree with all that you say, I'm basing things on the assumption that he already has his set up and running. The hard part has already been done. Depending on what his reasons for switching are; setup of the hub/Alexa could very well be beneficial, though one might argue the portal is still a better deal.... especially in light of the ISY capabilities.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  3:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMO. having greater abilities is always better, but free is the better deal

Go to Top of Page

mdyod

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  6:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you using the 99 or 994 (people sometimes mess this up)? If so I assume you are using older devices. If this is so, you may find adding and setting your devices up on the hub much more difficult than newer devices.

I'm using the 99 but I have a 994 Z that has never been used.. I'm having trouble connecting to my 99 for the third time this year using the java admin "app" so i considered changing up things
Ii do have tons of devices/ schedules scenes etc so I probably should stay with ISY but i hope there is A way to improve things...Do I need to upgrade to the 994? Or is there something better that I should switch to?
are there any other 3rd party apps that allow the same functionality as the Java admin panel but with more reliability?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  6:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If staying connected is you main/only problem, then you're moving downward for among the worst of reasons, most especially because you already have a 994i with Z-Wave.

Post your dilemma here. You'll be up and running in not time

Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  9:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdyod

quote:

I'm using the 99 but I have a 994 Z that has never been used.. I'm having trouble connecting to my 99 for the third time this year using the java admin "app" so i considered changing up things
Ii do have tons of devices/ schedules scenes etc so I probably should stay with ISY but i hope there is A way to improve things...Do I need to upgrade to the 994? Or is there something better that I should switch to?
are there any other 3rd party apps that allow the same functionality as the Java admin panel but with more reliability?

Make a backup of your current settings and then swap the ISY with the new one. Restore the backup on the new ISY and then update it to the 4.6.2. If you have a new PLM that would be even better as you will get better performance.

Like Stusviews said; you're moving backwards by swapping. Especially for the reasons listed.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10562 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  10:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdyod

[quote]Originally posted by lilyoyo1

Java and your browser have both had updates released to eliminate security vulnerabilities discovered after your discontinued model ISY stopped being updated. Thatís probably why the Administrative Console is now having trouble connecting.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

mdyod

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  7:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If you have a new PLM that would be even better as you will get better performance. "

Speaking of new PLM what are my best options for upgrading my PLM?( a PLMPro?)
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  8:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's only one PLM for the ISY, a 2413S. There's no such thing as a PLM Pro except in our dreams.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5703 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  03:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Universal Designs Inc. {makers of the ISY994i} PLM also never made it to production.
Disagreement between Smartlabs and UDI. On the needed Insteon Firmware for it.
The 2413S is the only serial PLM.
The Smartenit 5010K PLM is built with the base 2413 main board and their own daughter board. With a option to add RS485 serial along with the standard RS232. No advantage to it and I believe they only have a one year warranty while Smarthoms is two years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page