Insteon
 Ambient light detector
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  6:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody make an ambient light detector for use with Insteon? It would be very useful for turning on lights in the evening or turning them off in the morning. There were several such devices available for X10 but I haven't found any that are available for Insteon.

Ideally it would be one that you could adjust how dark/light it needed to be when it triggered.

Edited by - Msradell on 12/24/2017 6:06:42 PM

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  7:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Inseon Mostion Sensor can do that.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the instructions but I don't see how that can do what I want to do with it. I want my outdoor yard light to go on at dusk and off at dawn. I want this to happen whether there is motion or not.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  7:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you use to manage Insteon devices, a Hub, an ISY, software, something else?

Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presently I have a hub, would like to get a ISY but they're quite pricey. I was using an Ocelot with X10 which worked quite well and it was considerably cheaper than the ISY, I certainly wish there was some way to connect a PLM to it.

Right now I'm controlling 3 wall switches, 3 dimmable modules and 4 on/off modules. My primary method of use is through my Alexa. I presently have the outdoor lighting still running off of X10 but I would certainly like to migrate it over to Insteon also.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  9:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are many options depending on your wiring. Search Amazon for "photocell."

A line voltage sensor (has a red load wire) can be connected to the sense #1 (yellow) wire for integration with Insteon.

Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

There are many options depending on your wiring. Search Amazon for "photocell."

A line voltage sensor (has a red load wire) can be connected to the sense #1 (yellow) wire for integration with Insteon.

that sounds like an interesting approach, I have several photocells laying around from other projects of the past. What Insteon module do I connect it to?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Micro On/Off Module.

Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  7:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  1:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have misunderstood the need vs requirement but the Insteon motion sensor does in fact have a Dusk to Dawn option. I can't speak to how the newer version operates with the HUB II but would expect that basic feature to be present?

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  1:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

I may have misunderstood the need vs requirement but the Insteon motion sensor does in fact have a Dusk to Dawn option. I can't speak to how the newer version operates with the HUB II but would expect that basic feature to be present?

I'm looking for something to turn on a device at sunset and turn off the device at sunrise (not always the same device). I also don't want it to stay on all night and I don't want to have the device also see motion to trigger it. If the motion detector can do this I certainly haven't seen or found out how.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10562 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  1:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Affirmative, the motion sensor hardware has the capacity of controlling a second scene of linked devices on and off based solely on the the dusk/dawn sensor.

The catch is, the feature is only available via software that can manipulate link databases directly (i.e. the ISY), not via tap linking or the Hub.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:

Affirmative, the motion sensor hardware has the capacity of controlling a second scene of linked devices on and off based solely on the the dusk/dawn sensor.

The catch is, the feature is only available via software that can manipulate link databases directly (i.e. the ISY), not via tap linking or the Hub.

If I'm going to get a ISY there are a lot more elegant ways to do dusk to dawn and using the motion detector. I could even use the existing device I presently have which now triggers my X10 system. It has analog output from 1-300 that you can adjust it to send a signal at any value. Yes the signal output is X10 I could easily use that if an input to the ISY. Right now I have 4 levels set in programs in the Ocelot I use for X10 and I could easily have each of those levels send a specific X10 output to the ISY.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page