New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OlaA
Starting Member

Sweden
1 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  02:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new in this area. I'm now looking for a nice project to do for education. I have looked all over with no luck.

I want to use ESP8266 and perhaps Arduino. In my bathroom I'm going to have a small unit. It's going to have a humidity sensor and a button. When the sensor or button triggers I want to send this from the esp8266 inside the unit to the second unit with an esp8266 over my LAN wifi. I don't whant to use a PC or some sort of cloud service etc, only communicate between the two esp8266.
If necessary I can also use arduino for the logic and sense handling.

The second unit are going to switch the fan on/off through a relay.
I'm going to build it myself.

Please can you give some tips for URL or other resources

Ola Abrahamsson
Sweden

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  3:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what your question is - the humidity detection or the communications? And relative or absolute humidity? Relative humidity can be detected with a plethora of devices available on the market, beginning with the mechanical hygrometer used in HVAC systems. Absolute humidity is more difficult to establish and needs to be calculated. Do you need that? A typical application would be for equalizing humidity between to areas at different temperature.
As far as communications are concerned, you will definitely need a micro to interface the sensor with ESP8266. Arduino is a bit of an overkill, a small device such as ATTiny85 will do the job for a couple of bucks. Also keep in mind that ESP8266 is not easily used - unless you understand Chinese. The spec's English translation is almost incomprehensible, whether it makes any sense in Mandarin I don't know. SparkFun doesn't even provide the module pin-out. I tried to play with the ESP8266 a liuttle while ago and gave up in frustration. $5 wasn't worth my sanity. So good luck.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page