New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slzattas
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  3:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using X10 switches to control my outdoor lights for over 30 years. A couple of years ago I switched to LED lights and bought the newer switches that work with LEDs. Also bought a new mini PRO controller. All was well. The past 3 weeks, the lights turn off randomly, sometimes 10-30 minutes after I turn them on. I have unplugged the controller so it can't do anything, manually turn on the lights, and in under an hour, all lights are off. I've changed the house code, device code - nothing helps.

I did get a new WIFI router and at first thought it might be the AC adapter from the WIFI. Exchanged the wifi router, but same problem. A few days ago I unplugged the router for several hours - lights still turned off.

Any ideas? I'd hate to give up on X10 after all these years, but I need to come home with my house lights on.

If I switch to something else - what's better the Leviton bluetooth controller or the wifi controller? I don't want to need a hub, so something without a hub would be better. THough my first choice is to get the X10s working again.

Thanks,
Susan

susan

BLH
Advanced Member

5703 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  03:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you happen to get one of those Smart Meters from the power company lately?
Not too common but one particular meters signals did strange things with X10.

Anything new in the home electronically? That could be making power line noise interference.
There are many very well versed X10 experts on the X10 Forums. You may want to also ask there.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php

Jeff's Troubleshooting Tutorials are a great X10 information site.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Edited by - BLH on 01/25/2018 03:15:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  05:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like there is too much noise on the power lines - it may be even coming from neighbors. Most electronic devices in your household should be fed through filters. TVs, computers, even LED and CFL lights in some cases, as they contain switching supplies which generate noise. Most power bars, on the other hand, contain capacitors which attenuate the X10 signals.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

avion
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  05:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit avion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Susan

The culprit may be other X10 " transmitters" sending signals triggering the wall switch receiver module. Try this: Disconnect any RF device such as a motion sensor or keypad. Unplug any transmitter module like a mini controller; Disconnect any X10 device in a porch or outdoors.

Before switching to another protocol, let's update your X10 system with a new BlueTooth Smart X10 Controller for iPhone. It will make you feel like you bought a new, state-of-the-art system. Checkout: avioninnovative.com

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  11:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Controller's memory gets sometimes corrupted - I find this maybe once a year. You need to delete the entire memory and then reload it.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

slzattas
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your suggestions. I do not have a smart electric meter. The only X10 things I have are some light switches that control my outdoor lights. I use the mini Pro programmable controller.

I unplugged the controller and the lights still turn off randomly. Sometimes turn on randomly, but that's rare. Mainly turn themselves off within an hour of when I turn them on.

The only new electrical thing in my house is the new ASUS router. But even unplugged that and the lights still turn off.

I live on 1 acre lot so not in an apt building.

Clearly something is generating noise but I don't know what.

Susan

susan
Go to Top of Page

avion
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit avion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Susan

Do you have any X10 wireless devices like a battery keypad or motion sensor. If so, unplug the RF transceiver and try that.

Good Lick, Avion / Dan
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  06:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the lights behave randomly with no controller, wired or wireless plugged in, the culprit must be noise. The only fix for that is plugging devices such as TV, home entertainment, computers, power bars as well as plug-in power supplies (wall warts) through filters.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

slzattas
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  7:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the Smarthome FilterLinc and tried it on a few things. I thought the problem was my new router, but using the FilterLinc on that didn't help. I finally remembered that I had changed my UPS backup power box around a month ago - when I connected the FilterLinc to the UPS, the problem went away. Everything works fine now - back to normal!!!

Question: right now I have the UPS plugged into the FilterLInc, and the FilterLinc plugged into a surge protector power strip. Can I plug the powerstrip into the FilterLInc and then plug the FilterLinc into the wall? Or would that be too many devices feeding into the FilterLinc?

susan
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  7:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The correct order is wall outler to FilterLinc to UPS. No Insteon devices should connect to the output of the FilterLinc (bottom), but can be plugged into the FilterLinc pass-through outlet (front).

There's no harm plugging a suppressor into the filtered side of the FilterLinc (or output of the UPS).

The FilterLinc should not be plugged into anything but the wall outlet. Anything between the wall outlet and the FilterLinc will not be filtered.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

slzattas
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  8:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and information!

susan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page