New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThoughtCriminal
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My electrician seemed confused about installing the Insteon 2477D dimmers in a dual-pole (two switches) setup.

I have provided him with the dual-pole diagrams but said the dimming function would not work (with a 2477D at both locations).

Is the 2477D appropriate for dual-pole setups? (I'm a complete novice with these things, so apologies if my terminology is off...).

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3649 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  08:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"dual-pole"? or "two switches"? I understand these to be two different things. I am getting confused with the terminology, I fear.

Do you have a box with two switches in it? Do you currently have a fixture that is controlled by two switches at different box locations?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5669 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  08:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it will work fine.
By cross linking each together. The switch with the load not connected. Will still control the On, Off, Dim and Brighten features on the 2477D with the load on it.

I suspect some electricians may not understand the wiring. As a normal three way setup uses travelers between the two switches. Not both wired to Line and Neutral for power and one also connected to the load.

Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

166 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same thought oberkc. Two pole is quite a bit different than 2 switches in a three way. We need some clarification.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

209 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he's meaning 3way. If so, BLH is correct. You can find the wiring diagram on the 2477s webpage in the full manual which details how to set it up for multi-way applications
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15836 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  12:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A standard 3-way configuration allow dimming at only one switch. You electrician is basing his judgment on that. The electrician is not familiar with HA devices at all. That's OK--if they're willing to learn.

You must ensure that your electrician reads at least the wiring. Point out that standard 3-way configuration won't work, that Insteon switches need both line and neutral and, especially, Insteon done not use a traveler at all.

You can do the linking.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3649 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lilyoyo1

I think he's meaning 3way.

That would be my best guess as well, but I would rather not guess at all.
Go to Top of Page

ThoughtCriminal
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  3:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. this has been MOST helpful. And, as you surmised, I meant to say 3-pole -- one light controlled by two switches (like at both ends of a hallway). Now that he's got the wiring diagrams, hopefully he will see how they are different from the standard installation...
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3649 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  3:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume you mean "3-way".

Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams can be limited to very specific examples that may not apply to your house. In general, advise the electrician to connect both switches to unswitched hot and neutral. Connect either of the switch's red wire to fixture load, capping the other red wire. Electronically link the two switches using the instructions in the manual.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15836 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  6:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The configuration is 3-way, so called because each (standard 3-way) switch has three connection. Actually, it's a single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) switch.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page