Insteon Hub 2242-222 (2014) Schedule Problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rgclouse
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  09:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím having scheduling problems. This Hub has been in operation since August 2014. It is mainly (almost exclusively) used to turn lights on in the late afternoon and off at bedtime. Over the years, it would randomly not turn a light on or off when it was supposed to, but in general it worked as well as every previous Insteon controller I have had. I have gone thru more generations than I can remember (Iím 74 and my memory is cluttered). I know I went thru a bunch of SmartLincís and PowerLincís. This is my second Hub. The first installed in 2013 and replaced under warrantee in 2014. I donít remember what was wrong with it.

My environment has about 6 SwitchLincs, 3 KeyPadLinc (right name?), and about a dozen plug in On/Off modules. Almost all older so not dualband.

Now my problem. When the Hub decides it is not going to obey the schedules, it is all schedules. I currently have 9, but 3 are only for Christmas. When we notice the lights donít come on, I can manually turn them on via the Android App or a KeyPadLinc.

I can check the time in the Hub with a browser by:

Ip addr:25105/network.htm

This is usually off a few minutes over time.

The Android does not show a Hub Time. It never has.

Some posts in this forum have implied the hub may use a different time for its schedules. I have thought of finding an analog clock and plugging it in to an On/Off module to see if it runs the clock at any time during the day/night.

The only thing I can see wrong in the App is my Location has changed from Manchester (TN) to Asheville (which I assume is North Carolina). I can switch it back to Manchester, and the map display is always on it, but it doesnít stay for long.

The only thing that seems to get it back working for awhile is unplug the hub and have it reboot.

I really donít want to replace the hub and have to program everything from scratch.

Help!

From reading the forum, I found that directly scheduling devices is frowned upon. Setting the schedule on a scene is recommended. I could never see why this is the case. I know you canít schedule multiple things at the same time. Each of my timers has a unique on and off time. Would love sunset Ė 45 minutes but that is a horse beaten to death. I tried creating a couple of scenes, but never could get them to work.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10523 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  3:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You donít mention any dual-band devices besides the Hub, thatís a red flag. Single-band INSTEON modules rely on a couple of dual-band devices to act as a bridge between the two sides of your split-single phase power system. Absent that, you may get inconsistent operation due to normal power line interference coming from your or your neighborsí homes.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

rgclouse
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  08:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I gave an incomplete inventory of all my Insteon devices. I went back and looked at my spreadsheet which has not been updated since 2014.

I have 2 Access Point #2443 Rev 1.0

I also have 3 motion sensors and a Mini Keypad Remote I failed to mention.

Iím sorry, but I canít buy noise or line bridging as the problem. It is only the schedules that are being impacted. I can watch at the known time the family room light is supposed to go on, and when it doesnít, immediately turn it on using the Android App.

Iím not sure if I mentioned this or not, once a light fails to go on via schedule, it is not going to go off either later that night, and none of the other lights will either. I have to reboot the hub before they will respond to schedules. Meanwhile, they work perfectly normal via the Android App or via KeyPadLincs or the Mini Remote.

Now to throw a monkey wrench into the mix. All of my devices are manually linked to each other. They do not use scenes defined in the Hub. Most all of the devices have been added to the Hub, but are only referenced by Schedules.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10523 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  08:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Access Point signal test only takes a minute. If that was my home, thatíd be my first troubleshooting step.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

166 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  08:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at my own system using the same model hub I can only schedule scenes. In the Android app there is no choice for scheduling individual devices, only scenes.
Go to Top of Page

rgclouse
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  10:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I go to Settings / Edit Settings / Schedules, I get a list of my 9 existing schedules followed by "Unscheduled Items". This list includes all devices and scenes that Don't already have a schedule.
Go to Top of Page

rgclouse
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  07:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ran access point tap test successfully. Yes, it takes less than a minute to run, but I spent an hour last night trying to find it documented.

After rebooting (power cycling) the hub the last 2 days, it has honored the schedules the last 2 nights. I had my last SmartLinc on a mechanical timer that turned it off once a day to reboot it. Kept me going for another year or so. May have to try with the hub.
Go to Top of Page

rgclouse
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  10:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís been over a week since I last posted. As often happens, Insteon has performed flawlessly now for about 9 days. I have not power cycled the Hub or anything. All lights have turned on and off correctly per their schedules. I couldnít ask for more.

Only question is how long it will last. Since I didnít change anything, I didnít fix anything either.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page