Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Wall Thermostat wirelessly controlling baseboard ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richypigs
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

A question from a complete neophyte as far as this subject is concerned.

I have a recreational home that I occasionally rent out. I want to control the heating from my smartphone (from anywhere) but still allow renters to increase the heat in a room by (simply) adjusting a wall mounted thermostat. The baseboards are 24 years old. I have wifi in the home.

I have 6 old wall mounted thermostats that are line-wired to the baseboards (obviously), and I am happy to replace those as required for smartphone controlled versions.

However, I have 4 other areas (5 old baseboard heaters) where the thermostat is on the baseboard and I would like to put in wall mounted thermostats to control them but it is a log home so I don't want to run wires. So what I would like is thermostats that send on/off signals to the baseboards wirelessly ...and are themselves controlled wirelessly through the smartphone network.

I am happy to buy new baseboards where required. I don't need a really smart system such as one that "learns" your pattern because, as it is a recreational home, the pattern will be erratic.

I have researched this and found it very confusing. I think the closest I found was Honeywell using Econnect and Redlink....but it seemed complex and I am not sure it does what I want.

Help ....please. Specify brands and models if you can.

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  3:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From your description it sounds like AC line voltage baseboards.
Are the baseboards run by AC line voltage or control a furnace with zone controls?
It will make a difference in finding a solution.
Go to Top of Page

richypigs
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  8:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLH,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I didn't see the question.

They are run by AC Line voltage. There is no furnace and no zone controls.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  03:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to look at this thread here.
It may give you some information. Until someone that has used what you need responds.
http://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10664
Go to Top of Page

richypigs
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  6:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLH,

I have pored over that thread before and, because of my terminology deficit, I am unable to understand it. I do not know the terminology that would describe this situation:

an old baseboard heater that had the manually controlled thermostat right on it .... being converted or changed into ......a baseboard heater that receives its on/off-control signal wirelessly from a new wall mounted thermostat. In other words no wires have been run to connect the wall mounted thermostat with the baseboard heater.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page