Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Looking to add Z-Wave functionality to Insteon...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nfmmalice

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  11:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have been running an Insteon Hub for the better part of the past 2 or 3 years. My First Insteon Hub Crashed COMPLETELY (wouldnt even power on) about a year ago, and I got a replacement. I still have yet to migrate all of my Insteon Products to the New Hub, so My smarthome has been down for almost a year (Mostly do to other more important projects entering the fray)...

I currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 Insteon Products Installed, but I'm looking to add a little bit of ZWave functionality (via Doorlocks, Window covering Switches, etc)... Most of the ones I;m looking at are Z-wave.

What is the best way to proceed forward? Is there a Way to Add Z-Wave Functionality to the Insteon Hub? Is there another product that will do both Z-Wave AND Insteon, with the ease of use and programming of the Hub?

Or do I need to start considering biting the bullet and switching EVERYTHING out for Zwave?

Any Ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10562 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  11:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get an ISY, INSTEON PLM, and the optional ZWave interface, that will let you use the devices interchangeably. For info about the ISY, see http://forum.universal-devices.com

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

nfmmalice

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  12:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can the Philips Hue Bridge Be Used in Conjuction with the ISY?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10562 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  12:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That website I posted is the best place to find out more about the ISY and compatible hardware.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2352 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  3:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nfmmalice

Can the Philips Hue Bridge Be Used in Conjuction with the ISY?

Yes . . .

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3678 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  4:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To expand upon tekens response....yes, it can. It requires the network module and a bit of persistence, but the control is quite reliable. I use the ISY to control about a dozen different hue fuxtures, including strip lights and wall wash.
Go to Top of Page

nfmmalice

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  10:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the ISY have the same "user Friendly" interface that the Hub Does? Or will I have to know significantly more if I decide to take that leap?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3678 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  10:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not the same, simple, interface. You will need to make a commitment. I do not consider it overly complicated, but needed to spend a few hours for reading and experimentation. Over the years, it took more time as I integrated z-wave and hue and other things. Once there, it requires very little active management.

Start simple (insteon, x-10, scenes, simple programs) then add your other stuff.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  4:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a learning curve with the ISY that Oberkc alluded to. However, if you take the time to learn how to program the ISY you will find the time spent well worth the investment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page