Home Theater Lighting Control
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

barry56
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is probably old technology but I use a Logitech Harmony One to control my home theater system. Currently, lighting control is handled by a X10 system where I can send a series of dim commands to dim the room downlighting. I've recently installed LED lamps in the downlighting fixtures, which provides inconsistent illumination levels of the bulbs. What dimming module should I be using, compatible with LEDs and the Harmony One that will allow me to create a preset dim level for the lamps and provide three buttons on the remote allowing me to select Ful, Dim, or Off?

Barry56

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  3:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the LED bulbs dimmable?

If your X10 dimmers are the two wire wall switch type. They steal power through the bulbs and only made for incandescent type bulbs.

If they are wall switches. Do you have a Neutral power connection in the switch boxes?
Go to Top of Page

barry56
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  07:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLH, thanks for your reply. Yes, the LEDs are dimmable. The wall switch is an X10 340F and I'm using an IR543 interface for the Harmony remote control. I do have the neutral wires available in the switch back box. Currently, I am able to dim the LEDs by sending a series of dim commands from the remote. However, the number of commands required to get the light level to the desired illumination varies and I prefer to have a way to quickly choose one of the three levels I listed in my original inquiry. This requires the ability to preset a dim level.

Barry56
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3678 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am certainly not as knowledgeable with X10 as is BLH, but I don't think you will be able to define preset dimming levels using the devices you have. I know that some x-10 modules have a "resume dim" feature, but defining three specific levels is (IIRC) beyond the ability of most X-10 modules. To accomplish your goal, you might have to insert some more brains between your harmony and your modules. These brains are typically in the form of some type of hub or software. Even then, I do not recall any of my old x10 modules able to be commanded to a specific level. (I think they reacted only to ON/OFF/DIM/BRIGHT)

Edited by - oberkc on 04/07/2018 11:30:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

barry56
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  12:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm open to the most economical way of changing components to give me this capability. The only part of the system I do not want to change is the Harmony. I thought of using a LED wall dimmer having a fader to preset the dim level. Then somehow using X10 to select its output, 120VAC or off to the LED load. However, haven't come across any remotely controlled 2 channel switch to handle the selection. BTW, I am a newbie to this forum. Does it just cover X10 or is it open to other brands?

Edited by - barry56 on 04/07/2018 12:42:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  3:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say most brands and protocols.
Smarthome sells Insteon, X10, Z-Wave to name a few.

340F does not sound like an X10 model number. More like a UL type accepted device number.

X10WTI went bankrupt and was taken over by Authnix Inc. Most of the line is still being made or an improved module has been released. A new Wi-Fi X10 controller has been released and accessed through a Smart Phone App.
Their Forums are alive and well. I am one of their Community Organizer's there.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php

Depending on their age. The modules may support preset Dim and accept Extended X10 commands. To set the on level with a single command. Older ones went to 100% and then a stream of Dim commands lowered the level.

Edited by - BLH on 04/07/2018 4:35:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3678 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  4:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barry56

I'm open to the most economical way of changing components to give me this capability. The only part of the system I do not want to change is the Harmony. I thought of using a LED wall dimmer having a fader to preset the dim level. Then somehow using X10 to select its output, 120VAC or off to the LED load. However, haven't come across any remotely controlled 2 channel switch to handle the selection. BTW, I am a newbie to this forum. Does it just cover X10 or is it open to other brands?

I would say that this forum is pretty heavy into insteon, with some zwave and x10 thrown in.

Theoretically, you need a system brain that can learn and recieve the Harmony IR commands (could be x10, but dont have to be) then trigger events upon reciept of those commands. The hub in which I am most familiar is the ISY994. It could certainly trigger a scene command upon reciept of the appropriate harmony signal (it seems pretty common to trigger lighting scenes based upon harmony activities or stop/start/pause). You would need one of those x10 module mentioned by BLH...accepting preset din commands or go with insteon or zwave. You would have to decide if that approach is economical.

I am sure other hubs and software could work, but I am not familiar enough with them to offer any other specific reommendation.
Go to Top of Page

ayazfudugo1
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  03:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lighting helps in creating a great atmosphere or mood, particularly in a home cinema. An appropriate lighting system in a home cinema will enhance the experience, while a poorly designed lighting system can very easily interfere with your display systems, or ruin the mood completely.
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  06:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is possible to send a dim/bright level with one command to a X10 lamp module eg: 20%, 50%, 80%.
However I'm not familiar with the Harmony, the X10 icon remote had this option.

There also is software that will enable this but that would require a X10 PC interface like (cm19, cm15 or cm11)
Go to Top of Page

deepshika1
Starting Member

India
2 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  02:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Are the LED bulbs dimmable?

If your X10 dimmers are the two wire wall switch type. They steal power through the bulbs and only made for incandescent type bulbs.

If they are wall switches. Do you have a Neutral power connection in the switch boxes?

Is there a way to keep more than 3 levels of brightness when it comes to dimming using the X10 dimmers?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  03:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LED bulbs have to be dimmable.
Sometimes using one incandescent bulb with the LED bulbs calms thing down.

I have no data on this working. As it was mentioned in the X10 forums and I have seen no posts from anyone trying one.
As it is for Z-Wave that uses RF.
https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/fibaro/products/fibaro-bypass-2-fgb-002

In my tests of dimmable LED bulbs with two wire X10 modules did not work well as you have seen.
X10Pro does make a dimmer rated for dimmable LED bulbs as it has a Neutral power connection and does not have to steal power through the load.
https://www.x10.com/xpdi3-dimmer-120-vac-500w-inductive.html
Go to Top of Page

barry56
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  05:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your feedback. I'll be checking into your suggestions. Right now I've converted over to a manual system and not using the universal remote to dim. However, I've found out the manual LED dimmer is not able to totally turn off the LED bulbs at the low end of the slider. Is this a 'feature' of all LED dimmers or just the model I'm using? Perhaps the LEDs start to flicker at certain level and need to be switched off.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page