New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jewels
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any way to accomplish this? The In-Line Dimmer Switch was what I thought I needed (paired with a 2477D dimmer switch), but now I'm not so sure... it says it works with incandescent only...?

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  3:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about a 2474D two wire switch?
No it can not control an LED load. Incandescent loads only as you pointed out.
It also is not compatible with a three way setup.

Is this a three way setup?
You could rewire the 2477D so it gets Line and Neutral power connections. Cap off the Load wire.
And another 2477D in the second location. Also rewired to Line Neutral and the LED on the Load wire.
Then cross link them together.
Page 11 of the 2477D full manual gives a typical three way wiring.
http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2477d-en-03-26-2015.pdf

Edited by - BLH on 04/15/2018 3:53:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

jewels
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  10:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Iím not talking about a 2474D. Iím talking about installing an in-line dimmer module at the fixture and rewiring so the two wires supply line and neutral to the switch, then installing a 2477D at the switch and capping off the load wire there. No, it is not a three way switch and there are no other wires in the switch box that can be used to rewire.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  03:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK.
So you are talking about the Micro Module Dimmer.
https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2442-222-micro-dimmer-module.html

I did see it marked Incandescent loads.
Someone with actual use may have more data for it.
It should work with many Dimmable LED bulbs but testing with the exact model bulb maybe needed. As not all play nice with all dimmers. Both manual paddle and automation modules.

If you used the Micro Module. You would power the 2477D and cap off the load. Wire the Micro Module into the fixture. Link the two modules together. So the 2477D controls the Micro Module. The fixture and LED bulbs would have to be specified as dimmable.

Edited by - BLH on 04/16/2018 03:27:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

jewels
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was talking about this one: https://www.smarthome.com/in-linelinc-dimmer-insteon-2475da1-remote-control-in-line-dimmer-dual-band.html
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the part number.
It should be fine. Just it has to be installed in a large enough space to hold it. Like a single width electrical box.
My original model was a SwitchLinc with the front paddle, trim removed and the front plate designed to be behind the wall plate or a large space in a fixture.
Go to Top of Page

jewels
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  09:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spent a long time on the phone with smarthome technical support and concluded they (at least the two guys I was talking to) have no idea what they are talking about. I described what I was trying to do and they kept referring me to the 2-wire switch option, which specifically does not work with LEDs. They also told me that none of the Insteon products work with LEDs, which I know to be false, as I have 17 2477s and 2477d switches installed throughout my home and they all work perfectly with LEDs. I'm going to give one of these products a try and hope they work and that I didn't just waste $50.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5705 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that Technical Support has been farmed out to a third party. By the new owners Richmond Capital Partners.
I am not sure how knowledgeable they are and Incandescent only is a nice cop out. If you try an LED and it goes poorly. They can say we never said a dimmable LED will work with it.

I suspect they don't have a clue about my original Insteon modules dating back to 2006 either. Like a 2456S ApplianceLinc or a 2476S SwitchLinc Relay. That did not have a Air Gap Switch in it like the present ones do.

I believe the thirty day unhappy return policy is still valid.

Edited by - BLH on 04/16/2018 10:24:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

230 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  2:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with insteon's old tech support people, they generally stayed away from admitting they worked with LED bulbs. The ones that would recommend a type generally were the ones that used insteon's at home and would give their recommendation based on that.

I use the 2475da1 for my outdoor flood lights without issue. I'm using the feit 120 watt bulbs without issue.

I'm quite sure they don't know anything about older modules. I've forgotten about most of them myself and I use to use them all. Lol.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 04/16/2018 2:17:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

jewels
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had another thought... I could test if this will work by installing a 2477d at the fixture box and seeing if it will dim properly (which I think it will once itís wired up correctly). I suppose I could just use two 2477d switches in a three way configuration where the master switch is in the fixture box and the 2nd switch is in the switch box...
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3678 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  09:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose, if there is room and it does not get too hot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page