New Home Cable / Phone Wiring Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pondbusiness
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd appreciate some help and advice for anyone willing to give.

We are building a new home and the builder gives us 5 cable outlets and 5 telephone outlets to be placed at the location of our choosing. After searching the internet, it sounds like I might want to do better or more.

It sounds like I should have 2 outlets placed in every room: a CAT5E phone outlet and a RG6 cable outlet. Is it possible to get this in one combination outlet (ie one faceplate)? Or will this require 2 separate outlets (ie 2 faceplates)? The builder is charging $50 per additional phone or cable outlet. Is this reasonable? What should the cost for a phone/cable combination outlet cost?

We are not too sure if we want cable or DSL internet. We are not too sure if we want antenna, cable or satellite tv. What we do want is flexibility to do what we want. Would wiring to each room with cable / phone outlets be sufficient? Or do we need 2 CAT5E and 2 RG6 outlets wired to each room???

Any and all wiring advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

stusviews

USA
11389 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the phone and cable outlets ares separate. If they are, then you have 10 locations, as I understand it. $50 ea for the box and wiring seems reasonable.

Leviton has a product called Quickport. It consists of a Decora insert with as many as 6 openings in a single gang.

You can snap in phone, CAT5, cable, s-video, and more connectors in any configuration you want.

If the wiring consists of plastic boxes, then the Quickport and AC outlet can be in one multi-gang box with one coverplate.

Also consider having more than only a one duplex receptacle near each side of the bed. A three gang box can contain two duplex receptacles and a Quickport.

Flexible conduit would be best, but may be costly.

BTW, will the wiring from each outlet go to a central location?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

pondbusiness
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  9:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply,

I'm going to request that the wiring goes to a central location.

What is a "Quickport?"
What are "duplex receptacles?" Would that be a cable and a phone connection?

Eric
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11389 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  12:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pondbusiness

Thanks for the reply,

I'm going to request that the wiring goes to a central location.

What is a "Quickport?"

Try here http://www.smarthome.com/8559.html

quote:

What are "duplex receptacles?" Would that be a cable and a phone connection?

They're what you plug AC electric things into, like lamps and TVs. Here's a picture.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-53-double-outlets/decorator-receptacle-dual-outlet-102870.aspx

It's called a duplex receptacle because it receives two devices, that is, you can plug two thing into it.

I suggest that you double up on these in location where you will plug in several devices, such as near a nightstand (e.g., alarm, lamp, cordless phone, etc.) or by the kitchen counter. Even in the bathroom (ask my wife). It's not always easy to decide in advance, but, for example, you don't need to double up behind the refrigerator.

In particular, you can install 2 duplex receptacles in a two-gang box, 3 in a three-gang box, ...

Since you're on the SH forum, you're probably interested in home automation. If you are, make sure the contractor installs a hot AND a neutral in every electrical outlet (wall, ceiling, etc.). BTW, it is common practice to do that.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

JCParker
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  06:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like I should have 2 outlets placed in every room: a CAT5E phone outlet and a RG6 cable outlet. Is it possible to get this in one combination outlet (ie one faceplate)? Or will this require 2 separate outlets (ie 2 faceplates)? The builder is charging $50 per additional phone or cable outlet. Is this reasonable? What should the cost for a phone/cable combination outlet cost?

I would definitely go with 2 outlets per room - $50 seems fair..I paid a bit more than that to add a RG6 to our den.
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  08:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cannot have too many runs to each room. Whatever the cost it is much cheaper to do it now compared to when things are closed in. Another option is to run low voltage flexible conduit so that addition cables can be pulled later. My local home improvement store carries Leviton Quickport Snap-in face plates. Several sites carry them online. They come with a varied number of openings and accept RJ45 and Coax snap-in connectors in whatever combination you need.

EDIT: sorry Stu. most of what I posted Stu aready covered very well. That is what happens when not following all the posts in the topic.

Lee G

Edited by - LeeG on 08/13/2010 08:24:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  9:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would wire the cable outlets for wall mounting TVs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page