IR Extensions (Hiding the Cable Box)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BarkerNYC
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  12:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So bare with me on this one as this is all new to me. I live in NYC where space is limited. I am mounting a 37" LCD to the bedroom wall and want to put the Cablevision Cable box in the closet. What equipment do I need to be able to control the cable box, that will be in a closet, from my bed?

Questions:
Is there any noticable delay?
Can all the function of the remote work?
What do I need to watch out for?

stusviews

USA
11451 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  1:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a few suggestions:
http://www.smarthome.com/83608.html
http://www.smarthome.com/59500.html
http://www.smarthome.com/8165.html
http://www.smarthome.com/81205bk.html
There are more on the SH website.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

BarkerNYC
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  2:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I need only to control the cable box and the links you sent seem to be for up to 6 units.

Can you answer some of the questions regarding delays, etc.?

Lastly, can the sensor be equipped with an extension as the closet that the box will go in is about 9 feet from the TV
Go to Top of Page

ResIpsa
Average Member

64 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  2:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use SmartHome's Hidden IR System, which is an all-in-one. For your setup, with what sounds like a pretty lengthy distance between your TV (which is where the IR receiver will go), and your "cable closet" (which is where the connecting block/IR emitters will go), I would recommend a system like the one from Buffalo Electronics: http://www.smarthome.com/_/Buffalo_Electronics/_/1YB/nav.aspx?Ne=264. Buy a connecting block, IR sensor, emitter, and power supply. Connect everything with some simple Cat5e cable, and you can have the connecting block as far from the IR receiver as you want. Nice setup, because if you decide to add extra devices (DVD player, XBOX 360, etc.), you can just add more emitters to your connecting block.

As far as delay, I don't see one. It's pretty much instantaneous.

Not much to watch out for, other than choosing a product which won't let you expand down the road (which is what I did by going with the Hidden IR System).

quote:
Originally posted by BarkerNYC

So bare with me on this one as this is all new to me. I live in NYC where space is limited. I am mounting a 37" LCD to the bedroom wall and want to put the Cablevision Cable box in the closet. What equipment do I need to be able to control the cable box, that will be in a closet, from my bed?

Questions:

Tim
Go to Top of Page

DaveGee
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  3:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use an Xantech (17294RP) product that works real well... its a kit and what it does/has is as follows:

Here is a link to the product page:

http://www.xantech.com/InfraRed/InfraRed/IROverCoaxKits/17294RP/

1 - An IR Receiver (small) that you put on the TV or somewhere close.

2 - A power supply that is needed for the IR Receiver and plugs in the injector box referenced below

3 - An IR Injector that 'puts' the IR commands on the coax cable (from the IR Receiver listed above)

4 - The coax goes from the TV to wherever the cable box is

5 - The coax gets connected to another 'box' that 'pulls' the IR back off the coax

6 - That 'box' then connects to your cable box via a mini IR 'flasher' (peel and stick)

So basically... you need to have only a single coax run going from the cable box to the TV and the IR signal 'hitches a ride' on the same cable. (with boxes at each end) to inject or / remove the IR from the cable. (depending on what side of the cable you are looking at.

There is one thing you might want to consider...

If your closet doesn't have any ventilation heat buildup *may* become an issue... I would want to make sure you left plenty of room around the box for it breath... AND if its a PVR / DVR or some other hard drive based box heat could be an even bigger issue because of the HD heat added to the normal box heat.

Dave

P.S. I use that exact kit to run my Master Bedroom box that I have located in the basement of my house. It's one of those products that 'just work' and you don't even think about it after a while.

Edited by - DaveGee on 06/30/2008 3:29:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarkerNYC
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  5:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading that the Buffalo 350 does not work with LCD TV's. The connecting block and the emmitters are getting great reviews.

Does someone have a reco for a IR sensor that works with LCD TV's and are they compatible to the Buffalo Box?
Go to Top of Page

dgluck98
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  1:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure by now you got your answer, but i was looking for the same thing and found this (see link) seems to be the least complicated cheapest option. Plugs right into the back of the cable box
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2708&sku=40432

quote:
Originally posted by BarkerNYC

Questions:

Go to Top of Page

runewbie
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, sorry I'm a little late joining the party.

Does anyone know if the Single IR Emitter would work with a U-verse box? I too would like to hide the box in a closet right behind the TV wall (already have the hole in the wall going into the closet for the cables). Do I need any other piece of equipment or the above alone will do?

Thanks for your kind help.
Go to Top of Page

thriller04
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  2:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the single ir emitter plugged into the back of the cable box work?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page