Energy Saving Solutions
 Outside Light for between sunset/sunrise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have a computer with an automation software that supports sunrise/sunset and that it allows you to set a longitude/latitude (hint: use this site to help you find latitude and longitude in this website), you can have your outside light turn on during the sunset and turn off during sunrise. You could just have the outside light turn on after 6:00 PM and off by 7:00 AM, but I thought you might be interested on having the lights go on and off depending on the sunrise and sunset time.

It's important to keep the lights on during the night to reduce the chance of vandalism, no matter if anyone walks outside alone during the dark. This energy usage for light will help pay for itself. It can also serve as an indication when sun sets and rises, but I don't think anybody will care for that.

I may try to help you anyway I can. I used HomeSeer as a trial evaluation, but I don't remember the exact steps, but normally, in your HomeSeer web interface, you go to Events, Add Event, specify a name, go into the trigger page and set the "when" to sunset, go into actions tab, create a new Device action with the Outside light selected as a device to turn on, and then click "save." Create another event for the light to be turned off for sunrise and you're done!

As an additional step, you'll want to add an event for 30 minutes before sunset just to set the light output to 50% and after you change the setting for sunrise to lower the light to 50% instead of turning off the light, set the "30 minutes after sunrise" to have the light to go off. This ensures a balanced light output in relation to the brightness of the sky to make sure your place is not too dark but bright enough for anyone to see. It does help cut down in energy usage a bit, however. :) My point is, be creative! Don't let others limit your imagination!

Anyway, I hope this tip is useful to new users of home automation. Good luck!

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).

Edited by - GraysonPeddie on 11/07/2008 9:43:34 PM

jumpingspider
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  6:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GraysonPeddie

If you have a computer with an automation software that supports sunrise/sunset and that it allows you to set a longitude/latitude (hint: use this site to help you find latitude and longitude in this website), you can have your outside light turn on during the sunset and turn off during sunrise. You could just have the outside light turn on after 6:00 PM and off by 7:00 AM, but I thought you might be interested on having the lights go on and off depending on the sunrise and sunset time.

It's important to keep the lights on during the night to reduce the chance of vandalism, no matter if anyone walks outside alone during the dark. This energy usage for light will help pay for itself. It can also serve as an indication when sun sets and rises, but I don't think anybody will care for that.

I may try to help you anyway I can. I used HomeSeer as a trial evaluation, but I don't remember the exact steps, but normally, in your HomeSeer web interface, you go to Events, Add Event, specify a name, go into the trigger page and set the "when" to sunset, go into actions tab, create a new Device action with the Outside light selected as a device to turn on, and then click "save." Create another event for the light to be turned off for sunrise and you're done!

As an additional step, you'll want to add an event for 30 minutes before sunset just to set the light output to 50% and after you change the setting for sunrise to lower the light to 50% instead of turning off the light, set the "30 minutes after sunrise" to have the light to go off. This ensures a balanced light output in relation to the brightness of the sky to make sure your place is not too dark but bright enough for anyone to see. It does help cut down in energy usage a bit, however. :) My point is, be creative! Don't let others limit your imagination!

Anyway, I hope this tip is useful to new users of home automation. Good luck!

Those tips are surely helpful!! I noted down those you've shared by the way! Keep on sharing your expertise!! :)
Go to Top of Page

alex_foley
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  12:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GraysonPeddie

If you have a computer with an automation software that supports sunrise/sunset and that it allows you to set a longitude/latitude (

Use PLC with Astronomical timer built in.
Manual at bottom:
http://www.elkom.com.tw/?section=2&subid=19
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  6:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, i am a new user of home automation. these tips are really helpful.Thx
Go to Top of Page

cul8rv8

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  1:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bump from the dead, but I was looking for additional ideas for my home automation system and saw this thread...

I have a similar setup, but I also installed an INSTEON motion sensor on my front porch. My ISY program is set to turn my front porch light to 40% at 15 minutes before sunset, or when the motion detector's dusk controller is "on". This way, if it's stormy/cloudy/etc enough to be dark, the light will still turn on. Then, when the motion sensor detects motion, it automatically turns the light on 100%, as well as turns on a light upstairs over the front porch (it's hard to hear my doorbell when I'm upstairs, as well as it makes it look like someone is home even when someone is not). I also get a text message when motion is detected on the front porch, so I'm always aware of what's going on.

~ Jeff S.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
586 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  09:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A problem with using calculated sunrise/sunset values is that the light level at the calculated point changes significantly throughout the year. I have the system set up so that the advance or delay from the calculated value changes every month to always turn on the lights at approximately the same ambient light level. It goes from 15 minutes advance in the middle of December to 15 minutes delay in the middle of June.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page