New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FLYTDIGUY
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've researched high and low and yet still cannot make sense of how to use my car's factory Homelink unit to turn on my exterior house lights. Can anyone provide me with the details of how to accomplish this? What parts are necessary?

Thanks for the assistance!

AutomatedOutlet
Average Member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit AutomatedOutlet's Homepage  Send AutomatedOutlet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most of the Homelinks are X10 RF compatible. You would need to add an X10 transciver.

Martin Custer
Automated Outlet
708 Valley Ridge Circle, STE 5
Lewisville, TX 75057
Go to Top of Page

FLYTDIGUY
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  6:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet

Most of the Homelinks are X10 RF compatible. You would need to add an X10 transciver.

Is there an X10 switched outlet that accepts the wireless signal from the Homelink that I could replace the standard wall switch I have? Or is there a lot more to this.

Sorry for the Noob question, but I'm not really understanding what specific part(s) I need to make this work.

The thing that gets me is that everywhere there are ads and mentions about how the Homelink can turn on outside lights, inside lights, appliances, and the like, however, I cannot find information on exactly how to accomplish this feat.

Any assistance????
Go to Top of Page

jojeeka
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  7:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need this setup: https://secure.homelink.com/secure/shop.taf

and http://www.smarthome.com/nav/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=switchlinc&Ntk=All&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartial&N=0

Turn your light switch into an X10 compliant switch (with the switchlinc shown in the second link I provided) and have the homelink "listener" (seen in the first link I provided) with an antenna to tell the X10 home system to turn on the light you made X10 compatible when using the switchlinc.
Go to Top of Page

pw-man
Average Member

102 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  05:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you already have insteon devices installed, is there anyway to have them triggered via a homelink command?

For example, setting an x10 address on a dummy insteon device (like an icon or lamplinc) that could then be picked up by houselinc desktop or some other software to trigger the rest of the devices you desire?

Patrick
Go to Top of Page

AutomatedOutlet
Average Member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit AutomatedOutlet's Homepage  Send AutomatedOutlet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of options.

1) Set the Insteon switch to also receive X10 signals

2) If you have software or a controller that can do the translation. It would take the X10 signals in and send the appropriate Insteon commands.

Martin Custer
Automated Outlet
708 Valley Ridge Circle, STE 5
Lewisville, TX 75057
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page