New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Listener
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  9:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a house full of Insteon dimmer switches, button pads, phase linked (SignalLink 2442), etc., but I'm having reliability problems. I have nothing filtered, but a house full of suspects. Running around and unplugging things one at a time and then running around testing switches seems silly, time consuming, and error prone. I want an analyzer for my Insteon network like X10 has. Can I use one of them for Insteon signal strength and/or noise analysis? Since X10 is 120 KHz and Insteon is 131 KHz, I don't know if the X10 ones would be helpful for Insteon. Is there a reasonably priced noise detector (the more likely problem in my case) that is available? I can't be the only one with this problem. Thanks.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  05:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best Insteon signal analyzer is a laptop computer and the Diagnostics screen built into HouseLinc 2. It allows you to ping devices with both standard and extended messages and reports back both the success of the transmissions and the number of "hops" required for the signal to get through. If you see one area routinely needing multiple hops, you can then decide whether you would be better served by filtering or by adding an additional AccessPoint. You can also see if there is a lot of variation--if a bunch of signals get through on one hop, then several take three, you can use that intermittent nature of the interference to help track down the problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page