Wireless/wired ethernet intercoms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AD8BC

321 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  08:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me be the first in this topic!

With the advances in VoIP technology, I have wondered why nobody has come out with a wired/wireless Ethernet intercom system. Think about it -- door stations, room stations, even a computer interface for remote intercom access, maybe make it work with Skype or something.

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  2:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Excellent idea, but since I have Vonage, I'd like to have the ability to plug in the wireless intercom station to my phone adapter if I'm not home.

Wireless is great for me, but I'm not sure if it's small to fit in a doorframe outdoor when it comes to living in my apartment.

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  01:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AD8BC

Let me be the first in this topic!

With the advances in VoIP technology, I have wondered why nobody has come out with a wired/wireless Ethernet intercom system. Think about it -- door stations, room stations, even a computer interface for remote intercom access, maybe make it work with Skype or something.

Someone has. CyberData and Digital Acoustics both have VoIP intercom systems and door phones and have for quite some time. CyberData is SIP based and can integrate with various SIP PBX systems.

/carmi
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  7:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This looks nice http://www.ipintercom.com/edw.html

Thanks, carmi.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Autonow
Average Member

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ever consider an IP camera with audio?
Go to Top of Page

florapylant
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  02:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are now communication services that provide services over the internet and also provide voice services.

http://voicearray.com
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  11:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
florapylant, $30/mo is a somewhat costly intercom.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

tymesx
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit tymesx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First but not last: http://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15492

I was looking for new device to proxy to existing system and voila, I found a small simple device. But if you're looking for a "system"... aka complete replacement system? Erg! No, a new system would probably be thousands of dollars and infrastructure to redo a building complex.

With what I was looking for, I don't care what or how big (or how small) the existing system is, I can just bridge it and proxy it to my cellphone and it is so easy!

It doesn't have video but after the basic hardware cost for an Obi110 there would be no additional monthly fees and I can be out of the country and talk to someone in front of my apartment complex. Although, my building has a conference room, a gym, a garden, and other areas outside of the range of even the best cordless phone so I can answer the front door not just from a traffic jam 30 minutes from home.

I can understand a little bit more if you were looking for a "house" system, but when I was looking for something for my apartment complex... looking for a "system" was not only cost prohibitive, but politically impossible.

However now I could probably go and talk to our caretaker and ask them to imagine if they could not just be anywhere in the building but _anywhere_ when someone buzzed? They would immediately think replacing the system would be 10s of thousands of dollars but faint when I told them they only need to pay so little to do it for themselves.

Once my caretaker jumped at the opportunity I was able to approach the strata and shake their stupid archaic thinking. I myself already don't need any keys and now I have proof positive on how technology can help and I always wished to start upgrading to fobs and looking at systems for the entire building not just a piecemeal proxy -- although actually the Obi110 and just getting one for every apartment in the complex may be just as good as any "complete" system we can currently find on the market so far as Intercoms go -- ha-ha. Imagine that.

So, if you can find a "system" let me know too... ha-ha. I'm interested to know if it is less than $80 per Apartment and if it does free proxy over the internet and if it can also be used a VoIP interface for those few people who might still want landlines etc.

No, but you are correct, although a "system" would be preferable, it doesn't seem to be what is best or available right now. I'm just so happy that I don't need a "system" and I don't need to deal with the strata and 240 other owners.

Edited by - tymesx on 12/17/2014 3:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page