Insteon
 Restoring a HouseLinc 2 saved profile
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kconover

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  3:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kconover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi. I've been using HouseLinc 2 and have faithfully backed up a profile whenever I made a change, using that large, friendly icon of a floppy disk at the upper left of the program's screen.

My hard drive died. I installed HouseLinc 2 again. I tried to restore from that backed up profile I made and carefully saved.

However, File > Import won't recognize the file. It only wants to look for HouseLinc 1 profiles.

Why did I back this up if it was a total waste of my time? Or is there some way to restore cleverly hidden somewhere in the interface?

The helpfile talks about saving the profile and how it's a good idea to do so, but gives no guidance on how to RESTORE such a backup!

Help?

--Keith Conover

stusviews

USA
15777 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  4:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The backup file is named "HouseLinc2.settings.back.xml," unless you changed it. Rename it "HouseLinc2.settings.xml" and copy it to C:\Documents and Settings\your_computer_name\My Documents\HouseLinc2.

You may want to back up the current (newly installed) HouseLinc2.settings.xml file first.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

kconover

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kconover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought that was the case, and I did so. But for those not so technically savvy, don't you think that a program that has a menu "save as" function should have a "restore from" function as well? The code should be very, very simple to implement this.

--Keith Conover
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15777 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  10:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kconover

I thought that was the case, and I did so. But for those not so technically savvy, don't you think that a program that has a menu "save as" function should have a "restore from" function as well? The code should be very, very simple to implement this.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. It's too difficult a task for something that should be a menu option. But, IMO, it needn't be too, too easy because it's not used on a regular basis.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

CasNet
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  9:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure about the path "C:\Documents and Settings\your_computer_name\My Documents\HouseLinc2" ← this did *not* work for me.

It appears that HouseLinc stores its settings in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SmartLabs\HouseLinc\Settings" ← but that didn't seem to work either.

Any other hints?

Electronic Engineer and Electrical Contractor but new to INSTEON
Go to Top of Page

tmk8991
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar problem - needing to switch computers after the 1st install (power supply went bad on 1st PC). It is NOT obvious to copy folder contents to re-establish what I created.

Where can us users of the HouseLinc 2 software suggest improvements? Here's what I would like to see in future releases:

1) The file that gets created when you SAVE, ought to be useable. It creates a file ending in XML, but only allows an import of SLD files. Why would I save a file if I can't open it for use?

2) Allow an EXPORT feature, so I can transfer my whole setup to another PC.

3) HouseLinc 1 had a RECOVER and BACKUP option - neither exists in HouseLinc 2.

3) HouseLinc 1 had a feature that did an Auto Discovery of all Insteon devices on your network - VERY USEFUL - yes it took forever sometimes, but HouseLinc 2 only allows devices that I know about to be added. I have over 30 devices on my network, some are not linked to anything, except an event, I now have to keep my own separate database of what I have and where! It sure would be nice if the software just found the stuff I install... I spent over 10 hours finding all of my 32 devices (see I was missing 2).
Go to Top of Page

kconover

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  04:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit kconover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SmartLabs\HouseLinc

Is where the XML files are with the current version. Start > Houselinc > View Data Folder gets you there.

--Keith Conover
Go to Top of Page

wexler
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  01:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit wexler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Configuration:
Operating System: Windows 7
HouseLinc Ver. 2.9.17

Here's what I've discovered. Note, I'm on Windows 7 so the file directory structure might be different than Vista. It seems that the software makes a week or two of backups for you which you can find here:

C:\Users\Public\SmartLabs\HouseLinc\Settings

When you do a FILE, SAVE it creates a file called:
Houselinc 2.settings.xml

If you do a FILE, SAVE AS, it puts it whereever you want the file to be written and names it whatever you want with the .XML extension.

Since there doesn't appear to be an IMPORT command, here's what you need to do to recover your saved settings.

1) exit the HouseLinc program. Check the task bar and check that it's exited out completely. Do a FILE, EXIT.

2) Place your file in this directory:

3) and make sure your RENAME your file to this name:
HouseLinc.settings.xml

4) Now, restart the HouseLinc program and your settings should be located.

Worked for me!

Note - I'm using Windows 7 so the location of your files might be different.

Gregory Wexler
Go to Top of Page

jgwinner
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  1:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can confirm this fixes it.

It is absolutely absurd that this feature is not a simple "Open ..." menu option. Having people dig into configuration files is just wrong.

I really hope the developer of this app was fired, this is essentially incompetent.

I imagine maybe it's a dead product now, but I use it for a low level backup for programming Insteon devices.

I'm about to leave on a trip and I find my main PC blue screened last night. I install on my home theater PC and figure "I'll just import the configuration" ... so now I'm typing on a 'chicklit' keyboard to try to hack these files together.

It is absurd that such a vital feature hasn't been fixed in 8 years. I guess this code is being abandoned.

No wonder Alexa is taking over ... that stuff actually works.

I really believed in Insteon, but it's becoming increasingly irrelevant due to bad technical decisions like this.

Sorry for the rant - I'm in a bad mood and hate it when I see poor programming.

You can hire me to fix this ... lol.

== John ==
Go to Top of Page

pgrace
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an easy way inside HomeLinc2:

Go to File menu, select the "Restore Point Configuration"

In the dialog that opens, you will see "Create Restore Point" and "Load Restore Point" buttons.
First use the Create Restore Point.

In Win7, 8 & 10 you will find the resulting XML stored in:

Pick the one with the latest creation date. Copy it to the same location on the target machine.

Now use the Load Restore Point on the target machine, and load that XML.
Click the Save button.

Wait a few seconds for your config to load.

I had to manually activate my hub again.

The "Restore Point Configuration" is an unfortunate name, but the functionality is there.

PaulGrace

Edited by - pgrace on 01/09/2018 8:34:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page