Pool Light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

klundy
Average Member

99 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  08:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This weekend, I installed new LED based pool lights that can display multiple colors. You change colors by turning the power off and back on within 3 seconds. Leaving it off for at least 5 seconds resets to white. It has 10 colors, 2 of which we would never use (look awful to me). Sounds like an opportunity for an 8 button KPL - one per color.

Questions:
Would cycling power to the load like that, repeatedly, cause a problem with the KPL. For example, our favorite color is in the 9 slot of the lights. So to turn on blue would be 9 on/off cycles, with each lasting about 1 second "off".

If no physical problem with the KPL, I was thinking of using HL2 events with the pause command in each cycle. Will that work? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Kevin

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  7:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although pressing a button nine time will work, it's too easy to lose count, get distracted, miss the timing, or accidentally give an extra push.

I set up an event that turned a light on and off with a 1 (or 3, I tried both) second pause between. Works perfectly. And 10 - 2 = 8 buttons = 8 colors.

Oh no, no buttons left for OFF

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

frankjw

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  9:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just sounds like you need one button. How can you assign colors to a button if you don't have individual buttons to begin with? You must mean assigning a sequence of on off commands to the button. the only way you can do this is to use HL2 or some macro type of programming device to trigger an event that will toggle the button the appropriate amount of times. But in that case, all the button would be doing is triggering the event. Nothing would be happening at the button, the commands would be coming from the PLM.
Go to Top of Page

klundy
Average Member

99 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  03:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Although pressing a button nine time will work, it's too easy to lose count, get distracted, miss the timing, or accidentally give an extra push.

I set up an event that turned a light on and off with a 1 (or 3, I tried both) second pause between. Works perfectly. And 10 - 2 = 8 buttons = 8 colors.

Oh no, no buttons left for OFF

That's exactly what I was thinking. So no concerns for the load KPL itself as a result of this rapid on/off cycling every night?

Off? Minor detail :)

Edited by - klundy on 09/15/2009 03:56:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The KPL button is actually pushed only once, depending on the color you select. ON/OFF is managed by HL2 and communicated by the PLM.

Result, minimal mechanical movement.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Katodude
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  05:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have the exact same issue. Is there anyway to control this using the Insteon Hub? Can I create different scenes for the different colors? Or would the phone app respond quickly enough to to cycle the on/off?
Go to Top of Page

homelightpro
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  02:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit homelightpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why not use a remote control type pool light bulb, all setting button on the remote panel ,easy to use.

<a href="http://homelightpro.com" target="_blank">Home Light Pro</a> Share the pool light use experience and different guidance. Free reviews share website,dont sell anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page