Cannot Communicate with thermostat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andytin1@gmail.com
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  11:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my T1700 installed 4 weeks ago and everything was working fine with the ISY-99i & 2413s PLM. I was able to access and control the thermostat thru the internet or Mobbilinc on my iphone. But now, for 3 days already, I have not been able to communicate with this thermostat. I have tried factory reset the adapter, unlinking and relinking the device. I always get the message "Cannot Communicate with Thermostat - Check Connection." What's wrong with this thing? Can someone please help? Thanks.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thermostat adapter is an RF device, so you want to make sure you have two dual-band devices properly coupling the two legs of your electric service with one of them installed within range of your thermostat. Be sure to use the test mode built into each dual-band device to make sure yours can communicate with the other installed on the opposite leg.

Insteon RF devices communicate via a 900 MHz signal. Newer 900 MHz devices on the market play nice with each other, but if there's an older 900 MHz cordless phone, baby monitor, intercom or wireless computer speaker set plugged in nearby it may be interfering with your automation control signals. In that case, unplug the suspected device and retest.

If you are able to manually link other Insteon devices to the thermostat but just can't get the ISY to work with it, you may want to check in on the ISY manufacturer's own support forum, where you can verify you are on the latest version of the device's firmware and that you are adding the thermostat properly. See http://forum.universal-devices.com

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

docdockstader
Average Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my system, I had a brand new baby monitor that wrecked havoc on the Insteon RF signals. After eliminating that, RF communication cleared right up, and than I found that I had a bad RF adapter. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the thermostat will respond to direct commands, even if there isn't a link established, so if you've tried that and eliminated all communication issues, call SmartHome, they're great to work with.
Go to Top of Page

andytin1@gmail.com
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  08:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick response.

This is so weird. After posting my frustration last night, and this morning my thermostat decided to wake up and communicate again. I can see the status and access the controls again from UD admin console and MobiLinc, which I haven't been able to for 3 days! I don't have cordless phone or any wireless equipment running in the house that I know of. The thermostat is about 15ft from the 2413S PLM. The ISY has the latest firmware v.2.8.10 and controls other Insteon devices (KPL, garage door, MorningLinc)without any issue. So are you suggesting I need to add more dual-band devices to my setup to beef up the RF communication?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  11:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything big and metal getting moved between the two units, maybe a cabinet or appliance? At that short range, the thermostat adapter should have absolutely no trouble communicating with the ISY interface unless something else is stepping on the 900. MHz signal.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

docdockstader
Average Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  6:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tfitz, at 15ft it shouldn't be having issues that would be solved by adding more dual-band devices. It's either another 900 mhz signal, or a bad rf device. Don't rule out your neighbors, 900 mhz can travel a fairly good distance. The baby monitor I referred to earlier has reception completely around the acre my house sits on.
Go to Top of Page

andytin1@gmail.com
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  9:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered a 2443 AP for my setup but so far the thermostat is still up and responding. Hopefully it will be more stable with the AP added. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ed002
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand from support that there is a known problem with Access Point RF signal lockout caused by the 2441V thermostat adapters, but do not yet have a release which fixes the problem. Their engineers are actively working on the problem and hoping to come up with a fix, but no fix yet.

Ed002
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page