General Discussion
 INSTEON
 Decoupling Keypadlinc Button and Light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ih574

18 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  7:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit ih574's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Summary Question: Any way to decouple a KPL button's controlling action from its responding action?

Background: I have an eight button keypadlinc controlling an IOlinc that runs a garage door. Button G (bottom left) controls the IOlinc relay. The IOlinc sensor controls the LED light in Button G. But, since the button lights up when pressed, the LED button light goes on anyway, regardless of sensor. Probably not an issue if there wasn't a strong liklihood that the button will fail to open/close the door (due to either the separate proprietary wireless garage door controller that can lock all garage door opener actions or 2) flourescent lights that interfere with the actual opening command). Either of these could allow the KPL button press to light the LED but fail to open the door.

So, I used button H (bottom right) as a second responder to the IOLinc sensor. Button H goes on when the door opens and off when it closes. Other than wasting a button, this is OK except if the wife, kid, friend, dog, etc. presses button H thinking its going to open/close the garage. That will affect the state of that button LED regardless of actual state.

The ideal solution is to decouple the on/off controlling action of button G from the responder action of its LED. This way, the button operates the door but does not affect the state of the LED - the LED would be exclusively controlled by the sensor. I also would not need to waste another button (button H).

So . . . any way to decouple the button's controlling action from its responding action?

Regards,

Tom C.

stusviews

USA
11456 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  10:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Follow the steps to unlink a device.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  11:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that's not an embedded feature of a KeypadLinc.

If you have an ISY, you can create this sort of intelligence using a program to correct the status should it become out of sync with the state of the garage door.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

ih574

18 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  6:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit ih574's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I do not (yet) have an ISY. I have a SmartLinc as a starting point, but am starting to consider what computer control environment to use - ISY, HouseLinc, PowerHome or other. I've read up some on those three but have not gone through enough scenarios (like above) to determine which product will best suit my needs. In the case of the ISY function described by Tfitzpatri8, I assume the ISY would be polling the status of the LED on the button and polling the status of the garage door sensor. Then, based on an if/then/else relation, making a decision on the proper state for the LED and sending the appropriate command.

Great site and fun stuff. Thanks alot.

Regards,

Tom C.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page