Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Login or Register
 
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 INSTEON
 LED Recessed Lights?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  10:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys.

We're wrapping up our kitchen remodel and have around 21 recessed can lights that need trims and I'm considering the new LED models instead of halogen.

I've got two LED samples being delivered and have one already in my possession. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially integrated with an Insteon system and SwitchLinc dimmers. I forget the brand of one, but the other is from Halo.

These LED lights basically are a complete trim kit that connect to the regular bulb socket. LED lights have large heat sinks built into them which is why they are once piece including the trim. They demo kit I have includes a dimmer and plugs into a wall outlet. Seems like it dims pretty well.

Thanks!


-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR

stusviews
Moderator

USA
11451 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  11:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll ask a similar type question. I'm considering a new car and want your opinion. I forgot the model of one, but the other is from General Motors.

Want to re-post your question?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do Insteon dimmers work with LED can lights?

Are there LED can lights that are a favorite with the Insteon group?

Thanks.

-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2512 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  12:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my perception regarding LED lights is that they are replacement lamps that go into existing fixtures, including recessed lighting fixtures. Insteon dimmers work with some of these lamps, not with others. I have not seen any mention of whole, integrated, LED can lights.

You may want to re-post your question with mention of specific model number units that you want to consider.
Go to Top of Page

Rob
Junior Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  12:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Cree CR6 (aka Ecosmart from Home Depot) in my kitchen and they work great. I replaced one and couldn't tell a difference from the 65 watt bulb it replaced. I promptly replaced the rest.

I haven't tried the Halo but have seen them in Home Depot. They fit 5" and 6" cans while the CR6 only fits 6". As I have 5" cans in my basement I plan on trying the Halos at some point.

Also - the Philips A19 60 watt equivilent LED (looks like a yellow bug light when off), works great with Insteon and is the closest I've found to replace a conventional bulb in non-directional fixtures like lamps and sconces.

EDIT: Both the Cree and Philips dim quite nicely using 2476Ds with no buzzing or flicker. They're not cheap but hopefully prices will come down in the next year or so.

Edited by - Rob on 02/25/2011 12:36:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Senior Member

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  12:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the dimmer; I think you will see that it is an inductive dimmer. Smarthome does not support inductive dimming yet. You may have to switch to a relay switch. You may also find it a lot cheaper to go with a non-diming LED.


Edited by - silverton38 on 02/25/2011 12:19:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4468 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  3:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
silverton38; Many of the latest 120 volt dimmable LED bulbs are made for standard dimmers.
They should be fine with Insteon dimmer switches.
I have a nine watt EcoSmart that dims well with a LampLinc.
Though testing one before a total commitment maybe advisable. As some may not play nice.

Low voltage ones are a different thing as you pointed out.

Edited by - BLH on 02/25/2011 3:16:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  9:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to get a few of these hooked up this weekend and try them out before I buy 21 of the things. I also picked up an LED replacement bulb that looks pretty much like a regular bulb. I'm hoping the Insteon stuff will dim them okay as that is mandatory for me.

Thanks!

-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  07:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GR8Dane

These LED lights basically are a complete trim kit that connect to the regular bulb socket. LED lights have large heat sinks built into them which is why they are once piece including the trim.


If you are describing this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202240932/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 it works great with Insteon (and also is very nice light quality).

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

quote:
Originally posted by GR8Dane

These LED lights basically are a complete trim kit that connect to the regular bulb socket. LED lights have large heat sinks built into them which is why they are once piece including the trim.


If you are describing this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202240932/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 it works great with Insteon (and also is very nice light quality).



So I ended up picking up one of these from Home Depot as well as the Reality model from Lithonia. I've got one of each installed in the kitchen now. Both seem to dim fine. The Lithonia one doesn't seem to go quite as dim, but still glows in the last two settings whereas the Home Depot/Cree model is off during the lowest few settings. The Lithonia is also whiter and probably a little brighter and wider angle, but the HD/Cree model is a more warm, yellowish light.

I've got one more model coming and then I'll have to decide.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

BrianG
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you get a Home Depot credit card and use it to purchase your LED lights, you get 10% off. Also, Home Depot takes competitor coupons. If you move (and tell Lowe's) they will send you a 10% off card. I saved 20% on all my LED lights.

I use both the Cree CAN lights and the Philips bulbs. Both are great. For applications other than CAN, the Philips bulb covers more area with light than any other LED bulb I have seen.



Edited by - BrianG on 02/27/2011 08:10:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Avonlea22
Junior Member

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  6:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased three of the Cree CR6 bulbs today, and will say that I'm very happy with them. A snap to install. Had all three done in less than 5 minutes. These were placed in three new cans I installed in my bathroom. They are brighter than expected, so I have them set to come on at 80%, which in the long run will help me save even more money.

btw, you can purchase the Lowes coupons on Ebay. I've used probably 100 of these coupons in the last year. Well worth it!
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  08:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info guys. At this point I think the Cree from Home Depot is our favorite. The light is more natural, it dims really nice, the install is a snap and they are the least expensive.

My only gripe about them is that the bulb is recessed pretty far into the trim which limits the amount of light disbursement, but I should have enough cans to make up for the difference.

I'm going to try to round-up some coupons and get this wrapped up.

-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

andyf0
Junior Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  09:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit andyf0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried a lamp fixture with 2 x Ecosmart A19 40W(equiv) bulbs into a Lamplinc dimmer module and the thing just buzzed too loud for me, full on, dim or full off. It did dim pretty well though. I love these bulbs and use them elsewhere along with their Globe LEDs but they're still not right for the LampLinc dimmer.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

jpc
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  11:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyf0

I tried a lamp fixture with 2 x Ecosmart A19 40W(equiv) bulbs into a Lamplinc dimmer module and the thing just buzzed too loud for me, full on, dim or full off. It did dim pretty well though. I love these bulbs and use them elsewhere along with their Globe LEDs but they're still not right for the LampLinc dimmer.



My experience with the ecoSmart A19 is the same as yours; dimming was OK, but the buzzing was loud enough to be irritating, no matter what the dim level. The Philips A19 referred to above (the bug light looking one) is much better, as it makes no noise.
Go to Top of Page

ericaminto
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  02:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have refitted my lamp fixtures to LED recessed lights. Especially the kitchen area looks more elegant. All the fittings RD03A R20.

led recessed lights
led track lighting
Go to Top of Page

andyf0
Junior Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  03:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit andyf0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jpc

quote:
Originally posted by andyf0

I tried a lamp fixture with 2 x Ecosmart A19 40W(equiv) bulbs into a Lamplinc dimmer module and the thing just buzzed too loud for me, full on, dim or full off. It did dim pretty well though. I love these bulbs and use them elsewhere along with their Globe LEDs but they're still not right for the LampLinc dimmer.



My experience with the ecoSmart A19 is the same as yours; dimming was OK, but the buzzing was loud enough to be irritating, no matter what the dim level. The Philips A19 referred to above (the bug light looking one) is much better, as it makes no noise.




Thanks! That's really good to know but $17 EcoSmart - $37 Philips ... urgh!
Also the Philips is a 60W, too much for my bedroom light but definately good information that it doesn't buzz the Lamplinc.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up putting in 21 of the Cree Eco-smart LED can lights across my kitchen, dining room, living and office which all share a the same vaulted ceiling. They look awesome! The color is so much more natural than the other LEDs and they are so bright. I have them ramp up to only 80% when you hit the switch. Total replacement time was about 2 minutes per light just taking my time. Very, very simple.

I also got a 10% off coupon from Home Depot by signing up for their "I'm moving" promotion. It took about 24 hours to get the coupon in email, but it was worth the wait. That brought the lights down to $44.99 a piece.

One of the other things I love is that they dim down really nice and I can't hear any noise coming from the lights at all. I did put a high-watt dimmer for the one switch that runs 11 cans as I thought I may do incandescent, but a regular switch would have probably been fine.

One other side benefit is the actual temperature of these lights. I used my infrared thermometer and ran the lights at full brightness for a few hours. My LED's never went over 80 degrees. The incandescants in my family room hit 385 degrees and the halogens were around 420 degrees. That's a lot of heat!!! That many lights putting out that much heat has got to put a serious load on your cooling system in the summer I figure.

My final calculations for savings look to be a 2 year ROI since I was looking at buying a $20 trim kit and a $5 bulb each anyway. I'll save about $7.25 per bulb per year plus I won't have to replace them every 18 months. I'm going to slowly replace the ones in the rest of the house as they go out, but the ROI for them is around 4 years as I already have trim kits for them that will just go in the trash. That doesn't account for cooling costs either.


-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

andyf0
Junior Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  10:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit andyf0's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:

Thanks! That's really good to know but $17 EcoSmart - $37 Philips ... urgh!
Also the Philips is a 60W, too much for my bedroom light but definately good information that it doesn't buzz the Lamplinc.



I was in Home Depot today and saw they had Philips A19 40W equiv bulbs. Only $20. They seem to use the same bug light filter as the 60W equiv bulbs so hopefully these will work with the LampLinc well also. I picked up a couple and will try them this weekend.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Senior Member

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GR8Dane

I ended up putting in 21 of the Cree Eco-smart LED can lights across my kitchen, dining room, living and office which all share a the same vaulted ceiling. They look awesome! The color is so much more natural than the other LEDs and they are so bright. I have them ramp up to only 80% when you hit the switch. Total replacement time was about 2 minutes per light just taking my time. Very, very simple.

I also got a 10% off coupon from Home Depot by signing up for their "I'm moving" promotion. It took about 24 hours to get the coupon in email, but it was worth the wait. That brought the lights down to $44.99 a piece.

One of the other things I love is that they dim down really nice and I can't hear any noise coming from the lights at all. I did put a high-watt dimmer for the one switch that runs 11 cans as I thought I may do incandescent, but a regular switch would have probably been fine.

One other side benefit is the actual temperature of these lights. I used my infrared thermometer and ran the lights at full brightness for a few hours. My LED's never went over 80 degrees. The incandescants in my family room hit 385 degrees and the halogens were around 420 degrees. That's a lot of heat!!! That many lights putting out that much heat has got to put a serious load on your cooling system in the summer I figure.

My final calculations for savings look to be a 2 year ROI since I was looking at buying a $20 trim kit and a $5 bulb each anyway. I'll save about $7.25 per bulb per year plus I won't have to replace them every 18 months. I'm going to slowly replace the ones in the rest of the house as they go out, but the ROI for them is around 4 years as I already have trim kits for them that will just go in the trash. That doesn't account for cooling costs either.





Does your dimmer get hot when the lights are on?
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  10:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverton38

quote:
Originally posted by GR8Dane

I ended up putting in 21 of the Cree Eco-smart LED can lights across my kitchen, dining room, living and office which all share a the same vaulted ceiling. They look awesome! The color is so much more natural than the other LEDs and they are so bright. I have them ramp up to only 80% when you hit the switch. Total replacement time was about 2 minutes per light just taking my time. Very, very simple.

I also got a 10% off coupon from Home Depot by signing up for their "I'm moving" promotion. It took about 24 hours to get the coupon in email, but it was worth the wait. That brought the lights down to $44.99 a piece.

One of the other things I love is that they dim down really nice and I can't hear any noise coming from the lights at all. I did put a high-watt dimmer for the one switch that runs 11 cans as I thought I may do incandescent, but a regular switch would have probably been fine.

One other side benefit is the actual temperature of these lights. I used my infrared thermometer and ran the lights at full brightness for a few hours. My LED's never went over 80 degrees. The incandescants in my family room hit 385 degrees and the halogens were around 420 degrees. That's a lot of heat!!! That many lights putting out that much heat has got to put a serious load on your cooling system in the summer I figure.

My final calculations for savings look to be a 2 year ROI since I was looking at buying a $20 trim kit and a $5 bulb each anyway. I'll save about $7.25 per bulb per year plus I won't have to replace them every 18 months. I'm going to slowly replace the ones in the rest of the house as they go out, but the ROI for them is around 4 years as I already have trim kits for them that will just go in the trash. That doesn't account for cooling costs either.





Does your dimmer get hot when the lights are on?



Not since I put in the LEDs. I had a bunch of regular incandescant bulbs temporarly in the cans during construction and the dimmer would get pretty warm. The temp of the face plate right now is 87 degrees and it's technically running around 110 watts for all 11 bulbs. I have a regular dimmer in another location running the chandeleir with 9x60 watt bulbs for a total of 540 watts and it's 94 degrees. I probably should swap the switches and put the bigger switch on the chandalier now.

-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

andyf0
Junior Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit andyf0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GR8Dane

I ended up putting in 21 of the Cree Eco-smart LED can lights across my kitchen, dining room, living and office which all share a the same vaulted ceiling. They look awesome! The color is so much more natural than the other LEDs and they are so bright. I have them ramp up to only 80% when you hit the switch. Total replacement time was about 2 minutes per light just taking my time. Very, very simple.

I also got a 10% off coupon from Home Depot by signing up for their "I'm moving" promotion. It took about 24 hours to get the coupon in email, but it was worth the wait. That brought the lights down to $44.99 a piece.

One of the other things I love is that they dim down really nice and I can't hear any noise coming from the lights at all. I did put a high-watt dimmer for the one switch that runs 11 cans as I thought I may do incandescent, but a regular switch would have probably been fine.

One other side benefit is the actual temperature of these lights. I used my infrared thermometer and ran the lights at full brightness for a few hours. My LED's never went over 80 degrees. The incandescants in my family room hit 385 degrees and the halogens were around 420 degrees. That's a lot of heat!!! That many lights putting out that much heat has got to put a serious load on your cooling system in the summer I figure.

My final calculations for savings look to be a 2 year ROI since I was looking at buying a $20 trim kit and a $5 bulb each anyway. I'll save about $7.25 per bulb per year plus I won't have to replace them every 18 months. I'm going to slowly replace the ones in the rest of the house as they go out, but the ROI for them is around 4 years as I already have trim kits for them that will just go in the trash. That doesn't account for cooling costs either.





Based on your recommendation I updated all my kitchen cans to these LEDs. In Houston, Centerpoint (electric provider) is subsidizing these bulbs and they are currently only $39.90 (only .. gulp!).

This is the best money spent in a while. I really like the color and they are as bright as my Par38 CFLs I was using. No longer do I have to wait 5 minutes for the CFLs to heat up. Just waiting for my KeypadLinc to show up so I can dim them.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947
New Member

29 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  08:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very new to Insteon and LEDs and we are in the process of building our first brand new home. Energy efficiency is very important so we are looking at many options. I just received my first order of SmartHome devices and I am going to be using Indigo with my Mac computer. I find your comments extremely interesting and I have found a couple products that may also interest you. We have a Tray ceiling in our Master Bedroom with an area for recessed lighting. I have found that people have used Christmas lights, both large and small, and rope lights in this area. I found LED UtiliTech Pro indoor/outdoor warm-white rope lights of several different lengths available at Lowe's . These ropes can be added to each other for lengths up to 256' long. They are very well built. But I need these to be dimmable as well so for testing purposes I bought a 12' length for $17.98 with about 96 LEDs placed 1.5" apart. I took it home and plugged it into one of the LampLinc devices. I used Indigo to control the light and the amount of beautiful white light it gives off is amazing. It dims up and down smoothly and the LampLinc is cool to the touch at 95% capacity and no noise from the device. The only negative thing I found was that it still has a very faint glow when the LampLinc is at zero. During the daytime it is hardly noticeable but in total darkness it is slightly visible. Way way less than a normal nightlight. I am very excited that the LampLinc device will control these LEDs. I am considering on using these under all of my cabinets over the kitchen counters. Mounting clips are included.

I also found a Utilitech A-19 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Dimmable Soft White LED Light Bulb on sale until 4/25/2011 at their website for $9.98 and is 50% off, normal price being $19.98. There are some very good customer reviews there but take them for what they are. (Sorry but I couldn't get my hyperlink to work and when I pasted it here it was about 100 miles long.)

I am going there today to see if I can buy one and test it out here at home before buying about 50 on their website.

I apologize for being lengthy in my comments and hope my comments are helpful to someone.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

GR8Dane
New Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those LED bulbs sound cool. Let me know how they turn out. I'd love to find a replacement for the rest of the fixtures in the house.

I've got a few of the LED rope lights from Lowes and they are pretty cool. Let me know how they look under the cabinets as I may do the same thing.

-------------------
16 Insteon devices and growing
ISY-99IR
Go to Top of Page

Rob
Junior Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhutch1947

The only negative thing I found was that it still has a very faint glow when the LampLinc is at zero. During the daytime it is hardly noticeable but in total darkness it is slightly visible. Way way less than a normal nightlight.


I believe the glow is due to the load-sensing feature of the lamplinc. The LED's are so efficient that the trickle of power of the load-sensing is enough to cause them to glow.

With enough LED's in the chain the glow should be eliminated. Also, a switchlinc dimmer doesn't have any load-sensing and therefore doesn't exhibit this behavior.

I had the same glow issue on a shorter length of rope lights until I replaced the lamplinc with a switchlinc.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947
New Member

29 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  8:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of the Utilitech A-19 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Dimmable Soft White LED Light Bulbs at Lowe's today and screwed it into my test line which is plugged into the LampLinc. It dims as advertised and seems to go out at 0%, unlike the rope light but Rob addressed that for me. But the ultimate test was to swap it out with the existing 65W recessed bulb over the kitchen sink. These ceilings are 8' high and the ceilings in our new home are 10' and 11' high so I need to take the extra height into consideration. The 40W is close but not quite as bright as the 65W incandescent and my boss, my wife, says it is ok but she would prefer it to be a little brighter so, I can take a hint, and I like sleeping here, so I did some more research at Lowe's and found a Sylvania 50W Indoor/Outdoor LED Flood Light Bulb also on sale for another couple of days for $18.88. I am going to Lowe's in the morning and see if they have one of these in stock and then go and get and see if it will meet the ultimate test here. If it works out I will be investing twice the money in LEDs than I originally thought but it will still be a big savings in the long run.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947
New Member

29 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  8:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the 50W dimmable indoor/outdoor (no direct rain) Sylvania LED PAR20 and it sure is sweet. My wife loves it. It equals or exceeds the 65W PAR30 in luminance but it is not a full flood and surely not a spot either. Just a good coverage bulb which we are going to use throughout the interior and on the back porch too. I ordered 45 of these and they will be shipped to the Lowe's near my home so I can check for breakage before taking possession.

Now I will keep my eye out for dimmable candelabra LEDs, on sale.

Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  07:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
andyhutch1947,

A search by your discription didn't come up with anything on Lowes website and manual search only came up with a halogen Par 20 bulb. Can you provide a link or part number for the Sylvania LED Par20 bulbs?

Thanks

Oz
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947
New Member

29 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  09:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oztronix

Here is the link http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=98941-3-78493&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3262293&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1.

I apologize but I can't figure out how to make the "hyperlink" function to work with this forum. I usually would write a Trigger word, highlight it, click on "hyperlink", a window would open and I would paste in the link to the page I want to point to, hit enter, and the Trigger word would show up with the url brackets around it. But here I never get a place to paste the link to the Trigger word. If the above "link" doesn't get you there then here is the whole link to the Lowe's webpage.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=98941-3-78493&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3262293&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

When I said PAR20 it is because I read on the web that the numerical after the PAR is a code for the width of the bulb. The article said if you multiply the width of the bulb by "8" it will give you the PAR numerical. This bulb is 2.5" (times 8=20). The original 65W incandescent measured about 4.75 so I figured it was PAR38 (8x4.75"=38).

If I am wrong please let me know and I apologize for any confusion.

Also here is a cut and paste from the Lowe's website.

$18.88 Was: $26.98 (Save 30% thru 04/25/2011)

I hope this helps.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947
New Member

29 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  09:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this on:

http://milo.com/sylvania-dimmable-led-8w-par20-replaces-50w

-----------------------

Specifications

50-Watt Equivalent Indoor/Outdoor LED Flood Light Bulb

* Fully dimmable LED bulb
* 84% energy savings
* 50000 hours life (20x longer than halogen)
* Mercury free, lead free , and no UV or IR radiation

Model Number: 78493
Dimmable Yes
Light Color Soft white
ENERGY STAR Qualified No
Energy Efficient Yes
Beam Spread (Degrees) 25.0
Bulb Length (Inches) 3.25
Bulb Diameter (Inches) 2.5
Flood or Spotlight Flood light
Package Quantity 1.0
Indoor/Outdoor For indoor/outdoor use
Rated Life (Hours) 50000.0
Base Type Medium
Bulb Shape PAR20
Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  8:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info Andy, I am going to check it out tomorrow when I have a bit more time. It is very nice seeing the prices drop on LED's finally. And it is really great you posted with your findings.
Thanks again,

Oz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07