New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteveW
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  06:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone set up control of lighting or scenes using one of the Logitech Harmony remotes, such as the Harmony 1000? It seems like it would be possible, but before I spend a lot of time fighting with the components, I thought I would check with you all. Thanks in advance for whatever information you can offer!

SteveW

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  12:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLinc-Receiver-IR-to-INSTEON-Converter/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/31281/EZUIRT-Universal-IR-INSTEON-Transceiver-5010H/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/12232DB/ISY-99i-IR-INSTEON-Compatible-Automation-Controller-with-Dual-Band-PLM-and-IR-Control/p.aspx

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jaykraly
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  10:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize this is a very old post by now and posting a reply question may be pointless. But - The products linked are all IR capable, but not RF. I'm assuming the original poster was asking about using the native RF in his harmony remote to directly control the switchlinc. I'm hoping to do the same thing with an acoustic research universal remote. I could pay the $99 and go the infrared route, but that is expensive and requires having an unattractive extra wall-wart in my home-theater room. My hope was that the dual-band RF capable switch/keypadlincs would work directly with my remote. Is that possible?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  11:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No. Each manufacture is assigned a coded frequency to avoid conflicts with other manufactures systems.

Go to Top of Page

jaykraly
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  12:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does my universal remote control my directv box? Is that a special case? It seems like a shame to have my remote communicate to a RF->IR converter and have that go into an IR->Insteon converter. But I guess it's possible.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to Logitech, the Harmony controls DirecTV using IR, not RF. If you have a Harmony RF capable remote, then you may be using a Harmony RF receiver that converts the RF back to IR.

Go to Top of Page

jaykraly
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  1:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm actually using an Acoustic Research universal remote which communicates directly to the directv box via RF. No IR involved.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  2:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The AR remote requires the Xsight Touch RF Extender or equivalent.

Go to Top of Page

jaykraly
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only to communicate to IR equipment that is out of sight (like in a different room, closet, etc). You do not need the extender to communicate directly to a directv box that is RF enabled. I did it this way for a couple months before i got my extender to communicate with my other equipment.

Edited by - jaykraly on 03/26/2012 2:43:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  2:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are correct. Some AR RF capable remotes can control DirecTV (only) via RF as the same manufacturer supplies the remotes for both.

Go to Top of Page

jaykraly
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  3:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks for the additional info! So back to insteon devices, you're saying there is no way I will be able to control a switchlinc or keypadlinc directly via RF from the AR remote?

If so, I would guess this is also true of other products like the zwave controllers?

I guess the only way to do what i want is to use the RF extender to convert to IR, then IRLinc to convert to Insteon.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  3:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No need for the extender. All you need is an Insteon IRLinc receiver and universal remotes capable of NEC codes.

Go to Top of Page

jaykraly
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  3:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goal is to not have the IRLinc wall wart visible in my home theater room. All of my equipment is in a closet on the other side of the wall. I already have the RF extender, so this way I can use RF to communicate to the extender, which will convert the signal to IR, and then IRLinc to convert the IR to Insteon. Ironically, won't my dual-band dimmer then convert the signal back into RF?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  4:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes ... and no. They are not the same frequency. Radio is RF, TV is RF, cell phones are RF, cordless phones are RF, garage door operator are RF, even MRI is RF.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page