Insteon FAQ project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  10:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Updated:

This is a user-generated list of Frequently Asked Questions (with answers). See the end of this post for notes about how to contribute.

The FAQ is located here: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
(It's hosted on Google Docs because this makes it easy for multiple people to edit.)

The current contents of the FAQ are:

GENERAL QUESTIONS

What kinds of questions can I have answered here?
How do I ask my question?
What components do I need for a working system?
What are dual-band devices / Access Points, and when do I need them?
Can I use an X10 coupler instead of dual-band devices?
What if I have multiple electrical panels?
Will Insteon work on a 3-phase electrical system?
Will Insteon work on any electrical system other than 110/220v 60hz?
Can I control my lights from a smartphone?
Where can I find full instructions for using my devices?

WHAT CAN I CONTROL?

Can I use an Insteon dimmer to control devices besides lights, like fans?
If I have a non-dimming device like a fan, controlled by an Insteon relay, is it ok to link a dimming device like a KeypadLinc Dimmer to it?
Can I use a dimmer with CFL lights?
Can I use Insteon to control LED lights?

SYSTEM CONTROLLERS AND SOFTWARE

Why would I want software or a system controller?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Smartlinc vs HouseLinc vs ISY?
Can I control the system with other software?
Can I write my own software?

WIRING

If I replace a 3-way switch with an Insteon switch, do I need to replace all the switches on the 3-way?
Do I need a neutral in the box?
What does that even mean? ďNeutral in the boxĒ?
Iím trying to install ____ but I donít understand the wiring I see in the box.

RELIABILITY AND LINKING

My KeypadLinc buttons are not showing the status of devices they are linked to.
My Insteon devices can be turned on, but not turned off.
My Insteon devices can be turned off by linked devices, but not turned on.
My Insteon devices are erratically responsive, sometimes they work, sometimes not.
What kinds of devices create noise?
How can I prevent noise from interfering with my system?
I have lights plugged into a LampLinc or ApplianceLinc, and they never completely turn off.
My Switchlincs or Icon switches can be controlled by linked devices, but donít work when I press the paddle switch on them.

SMARTLINC ISSUES

My SmartLinc is not keeping time accurately.
How can I change the Port my SmartLinc uses?
Why should I change the Port? What Port should I pick?
My SmartLinc occasionally stops communicating with other network devices (such as computers).

INSTEON HUB ISSUES

How do I set up port forwarding?

HOUSELINC ISSUES

If I want to back up my settings from HouseLinc, where are the files stored?
What is a half-link?
What is the difference between Triggers, Conditions, and Actions?
When setting up event statements in Houselinc, can I specify multiple triggers, conditions, and actions, in one event program statement?
Does the order of Actions matter? Or, how I can I control what happens first?
How do I set up a low battery notification from my wireless motion detectors in Houselinc?
How do I use HouseLinc with the Insteon Hub?

GLOSSARY

The FAQ is located here: http://goo.gl/qNTNr

I started this FAQ because I thought we should have one. Parts I wrote, parts I took from other people's helpful posts in the forum, parts have been contributed by others. It remains a work in progress, especially as the Insteon line-up changes.

Everyone is welcome to make suggestions and contribute text here.

Anyone who has answered questions on this board is welcome to edit it directly. Just contact me with your email address (click my username and then pick E-mail User from my profile, you don't have to post it here) and I will give you the necessary permissions.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr

Edited by - jdale on 04/10/2013 9:34:46 PM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  11:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent idea!

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  1:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I get from the link is a page not found error.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  3:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Odd. Supposedly when published, anyone can read a Google Doc, regardless of the visibility. But it was being restricted to people who were logged into a Google account (any Google account, with or without access). I changed the visibility and it appears to be visible to everyone now, as far as I can tell. Let me know if there are issues.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  4:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I still get the page not found error.
It maybe something in my IE8 or one of the security programs.
I just booted into a test before installation. UBUNTU 11.04 Desktop CD and the included Firefox found and displayed your doc pages no problem.

Edited by - BLH on 07/31/2011 5:02:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  5:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did try it from IE8, without being logged into any Google account, and it now works for me. (I normally use FF.) So it's not IE8 in and of itself that is the problem. I blame Google. Googling the problem, I see lots of reports, no real fixes. It will probably clear itself up, possibly sooner if you clear your cache.

Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  6:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also am getting the "Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested does not exist" page. I tried earlier this afternoon as well with the same results.

Oz
Go to Top of Page

skydvrz

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  10:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit skydvrz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oztronix

I also am getting the "Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested does not exist" page. I tried earlier this afternoon as well with the same results.

I just tried it with Firefox 5.0/Win7-64 and it worked fine.

Best regards,

Kevin G. McCoy
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to report. Now the pages load fine with IE8.
Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  05:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still not for me on IE8

Oz
Go to Top of Page

art_lazarow

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  09:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the page does not exist error too. I'm using IE8

Art Lazarow
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reading the Google support forums, it appears that there is a bug that published documents (which are by definition supposed to be accessible to everyone) can in some cases (unpredictably but maybe worst for IE8) only be accessed when you are logged into a Google account, or perhaps at least if you visited Google first. My guess is they broke something when they added Google+ support. I tried embedding it in a webpage but that seems to have the same problem. Hopefully to be fixed soon.

Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  2:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your three phase entry is not that accurate;

I have been very successful with 3 phase electrical homes using Insteon. You need to bridge all three phases. I do this by creating a plug off of every phase positioned very close together and then put an access points in each plug. It works great.

Smarthome itself runs a 3 phase installation of Insteon.

Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  4:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

Reading the Google support forums, it appears that there is a bug that published documents (which are by definition supposed to be accessible to everyone) can in some cases (unpredictably but maybe worst for IE8) only be accessed when you are logged into a Google account, or perhaps at least if you visited Google first. My guess is they broke something when they added Google+ support. I tried embedding it in a webpage but that seems to have the same problem. Hopefully to be fixed soon.

Thanks for the tip for IE8. I tried your webpage first then went to google.com then hit the back button and your page came right up!

Oz

Edited by - Oztronix on 08/02/2011 4:24:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  8:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Silverton38: thanks, I edited so it better reflects the range of reports I've seen, including yours.

I'm sure there are plenty more things that can be improved! More input is encouraged. Especially on wiring, the SmartLinc, and HouseLinc. I am not an expert on those.

Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  1:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a great idea. Keep up the good work!!
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bumping this back up...

I have made a few more revisions and I suppose it could be declared done. For those of you who are new to the board, anything else you think should be on the FAQ? Sections that are not clear? For those of you who have been around a while, any issues you've explained many times that aren't covered? Anything in there that does not seem entirely correct?

Anyone having trouble reaching it, try going to Google first.

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Updated with information about the Fanlinc and other new dual-band devices, etc.

For reference, the current list of questions covered is:

GENERAL QUESTIONS

WHAT CAN I CONTROL?
If I have a non-dimming device like a fan, controlled by an Insteon relay, is it ok to link a dimming device like a KeypadLinc Dimmer to it?

WIRING
If I replace a 3-way switch with an Insteon switch, do I need to replace all the switches on the 3-way?

RELIABILITY AND LINKING
My Insteon devices are erratically responsive, sometimes they work, sometimes not.
I have lights plugged into a LampLinc or ApplianceLinc, and they never completely turn off.
My Switchlincs or Icon switches can be controlled by linked devices, but donít work when I press the paddle switch on them.

SMARTLINC ISSUES

Go to Top of Page

tracknut
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  09:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info, thank you. As a new guy, it's nice to see a FAQ.

I had a couple things...
1. Links from Q's to A's. It sure would be nice if the questions at the top were linked to the answer below. Right now you sort of have to read thru the whole thing.
2. On the discussion of powerline filters. I had a situation where my Insteon install completely "shut off" the power outlet where all my A/V is plugged in (on a surge protector strip). So to some extent, the reverse situation of what is usually mentioned here. The Insteon fixtures were working fine, but I couldn't even turn on the TV, Amp, Tivo, etc. Installing a SH filter on the AV power resolved this.
3. Distance of RF transmissions (ie for motion detectors). I have a motion detector which if installed in my foyer will work just fine, but if placed 10' over, outside the front door, will not transmit a signal to the nearest dual-band device which is about 10' away (but indoors). I don't know whether that's normal, but I was a bit surprised to find that the advertised "150' to nearest AP" wasn't quite what I got.

As I say, I'm completely new to this stuff, so feel free to edit out anything here that is not relevant or correct :)

Dave

Edited by - tracknut on 02/10/2012 09:01:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. I didn't think you could put links inside Google documents, but apparently you can. I will add these, I agree it would be useful.

2. That's weird, I've never heard of that happening before.

3. I've never heard of any radio device that actually got the advertised range. I think it's always based on straight-line distance with no obstructions in a lab situation with no other radio sources. That said, I don't know what the actual range in practical use is. To some extent it will depend on the amount of stuff between the two radio devices, how much metal that includes, whether the device is mounted in a metal box (e.g. switchlinc dual-band if you have metal boxes). But I don't know that there is enough information to provide a specific recommendation other than using the quad-tap test to make sure your dual-band devices are communicating, and then trial and error with everything else.

When there isn't a clear answer, I figure it's better for people to ask on the board, where we will be happy to give a wide range of opinions.... ;)

Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This FAQ link should be put up as a Sticky on the forum
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a less ugly version of the link: http://goo.gl/qNTNr

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the latest table of contents. Thanks to those who contributed, and also to those who posted useful stuff in the forums so I could copy and paste it. :)

GENERAL QUESTIONS

WHAT CAN I CONTROL?

WIRING

RELIABILITY AND LINKING

My Insteon devices can be turned off by linked devices, but not turned on.

SMARTLINC ISSUES

How can I change the Port my SmartLinc uses?
Why should I change the Port? What Port should I pick?
My SmartLinc occasionally stops communicating with other network devices (such as computers).

HOUSELINC ISSUES

If I want to back up my settings from HouseLinc, where are the files stored?
What is a half-link?
What is the difference between Triggers, Conditions, and Actions?
When setting up event statements in Houselinc, can I specify multiple triggers, conditions, and actions, in one event program statement?
Does the order of Actions matter? Or, how I can I control what happens first?
How do I set up a low battery notification from my wireless motion detectors in Houselinc?

Here's that link again: http://goo.gl/qNTNr

Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  09:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
3. Distance of RF transmissions (ie for motion detectors). I have a motion detector which if installed in my foyer will work just fine, but if placed 10' over, outside the front door, will not transmit a signal to the nearest dual-band device which is about 10' away (but indoors). I don't know whether that's normal, but I was a bit surprised to find that the advertised "150' to nearest AP" wasn't quite what I got.

In my new house (built 2009), I cannot use Insteon wireless remotes outdoors (on the front porch), even well within the 150' range (about 20' range, actually). If I step inside the front door, I have no problems.

My house was advertised as "Energy Star" compliant by the builder. The windows are all coated, and the house is very well insulated. It is my theory that these materials interfere with other EM signals as well. I know the coating on windows will block low power EM, because I can't put a satellite radio antenna in the window and listen, as I could at my old house with older windows. I have no real basis other than experience for assuming the rest. But maybe that's your issue.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  9:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Added a glossary to the end of the FAQ. Thanks primarily to Jerry for putting it together (I just did some editing).

Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

15 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  01:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Needs updating....
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  1:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No doubt! They keep releasing new stuff. If you would like to make specific suggestions, whether proposing replacement text or just listing items that particularly need revision, that would be helpful...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page