Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 New to this, will insteon products work for me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  7:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does not look familiar to me.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  12:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vera is versatile. It has some (only a few) Insteon capabilities. It may be all you need if you want what Vera can do. But rule out Insteon as your main home automation.

Vera is a Z-Wave device!

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

DanSag

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something that's come up and I'm not 100% sure what to do... Currently my projector is in my bedroom, and because it's a fairly small room the projector is close to the wall it's projecting to. It doesn't have any keystone adjustment and I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust the lens to make the picture truly square... At the moment I just have a painted screen. I'm moving all my equipment to the basement (which is why I'm looking at all this lighting) and I have the ability to move the projector back a lot further. In my room the projector lens is 10 1/2 feet from the wall and in the basement I have over 20 feet to work with, and also a mount that hangs further down from the ceiling.

My main concern is do I want to keep the projector close and have awesome brightness in the daytime but live with the angled sides, or put the projector back far enough that the picture is square and buy a screen, but sacrifice brightness?
Go to Top of Page

DanSag

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  12:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts being... The projector has a manual zoom lens, with 2.11x magnification... I think at the 2.11 level (which it's at in my room) it magnifies the screen, but also the angle of the sides. I think I will get an all around better image when I don't use the zoom at all. I think this will end up being a trial and error thing, but I'd like to see what your opinions are, doesn't matter if you have a projector or not.
Go to Top of Page

loganjw
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  07:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks VERY promising as well:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/for-ipad/devices/harmony-link

I'm assuming you can use the included IR blaster to send commands to an ISY-99 that lives in another room (mine lives upstairs).
Go to Top of Page

DanSag

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  07:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks awesome! I actually think I'm going to go pick one up today if I can find one! I hope to use it to control all my gear (located in the furnace room, and hopefully use the mini blaster to control my projector in my theater
Go to Top of Page

DanSag

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  08:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah it's a preorder thing! Oh well. Time to pull out the visa and hope it arrives shortly :)
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  5:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the announcement of this device on ENGadget and other sites. I will watch it with interest. It has promise, but I have been disappointed before.
Go to Top of Page

loganjw
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  07:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

It has promise, but I have been disappointed before.

I've owned a number of Logitech products (remotes, keyboards, mice) and I can't think of a single one that disappointed me.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  10:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've owned a number of Logitech products (remotes, keyboards, mice) and I can't think of a single one that disappointed me.

I suspect most of my disappointment is due to unrealistic expectations. For example, I wanted to be able to use my logitech review or googleTV app (iPad or android versions) to control my Blue-ray player and insteon lighting and to be able to add buttons and configure the screen layout. Unfortunately, I found the apps to be less flexible than I had hoped. Perhaps I just missed something. I was probably hoping for too much.

Otherwise, I tend to agree...the logitech devices I have tried appear to work as intended.
Go to Top of Page

DanSag

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  11:17:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only issue with logitech (as I said before) is their remotes wouldn't turn my projector off... I've now solved that issue within the projector itself so just to save for a new remote now
Go to Top of Page

DanSag

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a while since I've been on here. just wondering if the software that comes with the ISY-99 is mac compatible?

Thanks,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISY software runs only on an ISY. You interact with it using a web browser and JavaScript, regardless of the computer OS you are using. For more ISY info, see http://forum.universal-devices.com

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

heyfrank
Average Member

63 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  12:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order to turn the projector off from your hamony, make sure to send two off command with an appropriate time between them.

Thank you
Frank
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page