New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nick 55
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  8:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Leviton HCS-10 and HCM-10 switches throughout the house, and am now starting to have problems finding traditional light bulbs to replace burned out ones. I asked the local Home Depot and Lowes guys whether or not dimmable CFL bulbs or LED bulbs will work with the dimming switches I have installed in my house. Has anybody already addressed this with these switches?

Thank you,
Nick

BLH
Advanced Member

4496 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  03:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the switches wiring.
If it has a Neutral power connection or not.

If it does not use a Neutral and the power is being stolen through the load {bulb}. The Blue and White wires on the HCM-10 are connected to the load. Most likely it will not work.
I know the two wire X10 dimmers do not for that reason.

If they do use a Neutral and not steal power through the load. Good chance they will work.

There is a users manual for the switch. On the Smarthome sales page. If you don't have it. It will show you how they are wired with and without a neutral.
http://www.smarthome.com/2203WI/Leviton-HCM10-1SW-Enhanced-X10-Dimmer-Switch-1000w-White-Ivory-/p.aspx

Results with dimmable CFLs and LEDs may vary.
I found most dimmable CFLs liked to be started at 100% and dimmed down and they are not linear. LEDs I have tried an EcoSmart. It dimmed nicely but at one dim level. It did generate some power line noise.

They still make bulbs that meet the new energy standards. I have tried a 72 watt Halogen that is the 100 watt incandescent replacement.

Edited by - BLH on 09/22/2011 04:38:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2540 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  04:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of these types of bulbs also put a bit more noise on the powerlines than do the incandescents. Sometimes this can mess with communication between your switches. Watch out for this.
Go to Top of Page

nick 55
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you folks. The house was built many years before I moved in and when I installed the switches, I remember that some, but not all had neutral wires accessible at the switch. The ones that did, I connected like the manual stated. I guess I will just try some of the bulbs out and see what works.

Nick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page