New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nogsh
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  09:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

So I have a slight dilema. I decided to switch from a Leviton in-wall wiring enclosure to a rack. Partly because of issues to putting in the 42" enclosure, partly because I wanted some more room, visibility, and actual rack-moutning potential in the future.

The issue, however, is that I'm putting this in a residential wardrobe closet so I only have about 22" max in terms of depth.

This rules out most conventional 4-post racks.

I found this one on here:

http://www.smarthome.com/8741D521/Slim-5-Rack-Deep-21-Space-36-75-In-High-5-21-26/p.aspx

Does anyone know if the front rails support what a traditional rack should? In other words, I could buy a Leviton rack-mount patch panel or a Dell rack server and have no issues? (assuming depth is fine)

Thanks

EricK
Advanced Member

581 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  12:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of these, 30" x 18" I think.
http://cableorganizer.com/middle-atlantic/wm-wallmount-racks/
If you are looking for shelves, wire guides, etc then shop around. Some places try to charge you $40 for a simple shelf, huge rip-off.
E
Rack from my old house, could not take it with me. It was a swing out which was useful. I could not figure out where I had purchased it so I went with the MA brand.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 12 KPLs, 27 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, Lamp-linc, 4 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.

Edited by - EricK on 11/28/2011 12:44:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nogsh
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  6:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric,

So is that picture actually a Slim 5 Series 19" rack that are about 20" deep or is that one in the link that you posted but is a MA rack still?

Looks pretty stable and thick enough gauge steel. Are you happy with it as a whole?

Edited by - Nogsh on 11/28/2011 6:58:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

581 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  06:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The picture is of a swing rack, not the Slim5. When my old house was built they installed the small enclosure in the wall, visible behind the rack, which did not leave any space for components. It was not until I tried to hook up my modem and router that I realized there was a problem. I installed the rack and all was well. You can see the dymo printer and print server, modem, router, network drive, keystone patch panel, and Dell switch.
I have the Middle Atlantic in my new house which works very well. I will try to get a photo of it and post.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 12 KPLs, 27 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, Lamp-linc, 4 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page