Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Isaac
Administrator

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Over the past few years one of the top requested new products has been FanLinc - a combination ceiling fan speed controller and fan light dimmer. This product will be available soon but we'd like to know how you would control it (i.e., which INSTEON device would you use as the primary controller?).

Please take a moment to answer a one question survey about how you would control a FanLinc here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/76DSKMN

Thanks!

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook

Isaac
Administrator

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  09:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who provided information! I'll leave the survey open for a while for those still wanting to submit their thoughts.

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  10:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be pretty interesting to see the results.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Administrator

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  1:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

It would be pretty interesting to see the results.

Good idea oberkc! Here it is:
www.smarthome.com/files/fanlincsurveysummary.pdf

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  1:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am rather shocked about the number of people who have taken the time to take the survey. After all these years of waiting, and watching. The majority of these users didn't take the time to reply!

Only 41 people took the time to answer???

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  2:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Considering how diverse the answers are, it's probably just as well there weren't more!

For the record? I'll take what I can get!

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

orcusomega
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  10:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am VERY interested in Fanlinc's - this is a major short coming in my home automation system is the inability to control the lights and fans in most of the rooms in the house (most have the overhead fans/lights with the combined wall switch). VERY VERY interested in these, any ETA?

Thanks,

Bob
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  03:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
For the record? I'll take what I can get!

+1
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  04:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it will go to production but the 2475F Fanlinc is in the FCC Database.
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/
Grantee Code: SBP
Product Code: 2475F
In the details area. Internal and external photos and a preliminary Users Manual.
About half the internal photos are blank.

Edited by - BLH on 12/19/2011 04:46:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Single Insteon address set up as two different scenes (groups), but two set buttons to make it easy to link them separately. One quirk in that unlinking one function will also unlink the other. LEDs show what fan speed you are linking. Dim and bright to change the fan speed (1-49% = slow, 50-99% = medium, 100% = fast). Can take two X10 addresses, one for the light and one for the fan. 300W light dimmer, 1 Amp for the fan. Dual band. Configured as a canopy module that goes inside the fan or the box, item number groups it with InLineLinc dimmers. FCC approved so maybe we will get it soon?

Looks good to me!

Go to Top of Page

andrewm568
Average Member

79 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

I am rather shocked about the number of people who have taken the time to take the survey. After all these years of waiting, and watching. The majority of these users didn't take the time to reply!

I suspect that's a function of the value people place on this forum nowadays. Speaking for myself, I probably only visit once every couple of months, so have only just learned of the survey.

SmartHome could have used their Insteon Facebook page to promote the survey, but I didn't see it there (though they do hint that the product is coming).
Go to Top of Page

andrewm568
Average Member

79 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

Single Insteon address set up as two different scenes (groups), but two set buttons to make it easy to link them separately. One quirk in that unlinking one function will also unlink the other. LEDs show what fan speed you are linking. Dim and bright to change the fan speed (1-49% = slow, 50-99% = medium, 100% = fast). Can take two X10 addresses, one for the light and one for the fan. 300W light dimmer, 1 Amp for the fan. Dual band. Configured as a canopy module that goes inside the fan or the box, item number groups it with InLineLinc dimmers. FCC approved so maybe we will get it soon?

Looks good to me!

I'll do what I normally do - take what they give me and use my ISY to make it work properly! Without ISY it'll take up quite a few scene buttons if you want full speed control.

One improvement I'd like to see is the configurable option for the beeps to sound when changing fan speeds during normal operation. Eg I could set up ISY actions to go to the next higher (or lower) speed when I press BRIGHTEN (or DIM) on a controller - having audio feedback would help with that, as it does during setup.

Great to see this is almost available - please SmartLabs, get programming info to Universal Devices as fast as possible!

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  03:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ISY support is necessary and assumed on my part. I have no use for any insteon device that cannot be integrated with my ISY-99.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not clear to me from the manual whether it can be made to beep when you change speeds, or if that is only during setup. However since it has the ability to beep, I suspect the ISY can make it beep, so that could be part of the macro you set up.

Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the survey and will be buying 22 of these as soon as they are available. The people who really count took the time and filled out the survey.
Go to Top of Page

NJBillT
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would use these in conjunction with my RCS thermostats and Homeseer to speed my fans up when the furnaces start blowing hot air out of the ceilings, and have them wind down when the furnace stops. It would serve to stir the air up, and not feel the fans blowing cool air between cycles.
Go to Top of Page

OmegaQuest

15 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  08:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to get some of these.

However my Fan/light control is via two wall switches (the fan using the red/white wire, and the light using the black/white wire)...

So I would have to put something in the "unused" wall switch location (maybe another keypadLinc :D )
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OmegaQuest

I would love to get some of these.

However my Fan/light control is via two wall switches (the fan using the red/white wire, and the light using the black/white wire)...

So I would have to put something in the "unused" wall switch location (maybe another keypadLinc :D )

You could still use two Switchlincs or Icon switches. Just link them to the FanLinc instead of having direct wired control. (In fact it might make more sense to directly wire the switchlinc to control the light and only use the fanlinc for the fan control. Easier to link to other things, at least if you are not using an ISY or Houselinc.)

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
the fan using the red/white wire, and the light using the black/white wire

You would have to re-purpose these wires, as I understand the fanlinc. I understand the fanlinc to be a canopy module, like the inlinelinc. As such, it would require unswitched power. It sounds as if you have unswitched power provided as the current switch location, connected to two switches, providing switched power though the black and red conductors to the fixture box.

Given this, to use the fanlinc, you would have to connect either black (best choice) or red to the unswitched power at the switch box and abandon the other. You would then install your choice of (virtual) insteon controllers for both light and fan, whether this be a switchlinc or keypad or remotelinc or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

OmegaQuest

15 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O', I thought it would be like a SwitchLinc but have the ability to control both Fan speeds and Light with one unit (like maybe a dual switch using a 1 Gange unit.

Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Administrator

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  11:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Teken . . .

Now over 90 responses. Link to survey results has been updated for those interested: www.smarthome.com/files/fanlincsurveysummary.pdf

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

rebelzrule

40 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  07:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exciting announcement on Facebook today. Looks like the Fanlinc is one step closer to being a reality!!!
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rebelzrule

Exciting announcement on Facebook today. Looks like the Fanlinc is one step closer to being a reality!!!

Don't tease, repost it here for those of us who haven't sold our souls to the privacy-sucking machine.... ;)

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

quote:
Originally posted by rebelzrule

Don't tease, repost it here for those of us who haven't sold our souls to the privacy-sucking machine.... ;)

Go to Top of Page

rebelzrule

40 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.smarthome.com/fanlinc
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Administrator

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hyperlinked for added convenience:
http://www.smarthome.com/fanlinc

I encourage those interested to sign up for the notification (link on page above). We do not plan on doing a pre-order for this product. Once we are ready to ship, those who sign up will receive an email letting them know.

Thanks!

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good deal, thanks. I've signed up!

It would be especially great if there was a deal or bundle of those labeled KPL buttons to go with it.... ;)

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  10:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like many have mentioned in the survey response, ISY integration is critical for me, as well. I assume that smarthome and universal devices are communication sufficiently to make this happen.

I will be ordering four, plus appropriate controllers.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Isaac

quote:

Teken . . .

Now over 90 responses. Link to survey results has been updated for those interested: www.smarthome.com/files/fanlincsurveysummary.pdf

Isaac,

Would you be able to ask the powers that be if they could consider making the fan keys as standard issue. Opposed to making the user purchase the custom keys. This would be a huge value add for most folks.

Teken . . .

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 01/13/2012 09:39:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jdsmooth
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X2 on including the buttons. Or creating packages with controllers. Otherwise the ordering process will be tough and confusing for many. At the very least make the buttons an orderable item rather than forcing people to customize them themselves.

Can you verify that universal devices is in the loop? ISY integration will be key!
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  04:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Can you verify that universal devices is in the loop? ISY integration will be key!"

Jdsmooth...I noticed on the product page that it mentioned use with the ISY-99 (among other automation controllers). I take this as a good sign.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page