New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asincero
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  12:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the following IR receiver:

http://www.smarthome.com/81232/Xantech-WL85-Universal-Wall-Link-IR-Receiver/p.aspx

and it is mounted right next to my LG LCD TV. The instructions even recommend that this is the ideal location for it and the product sheet seems to make a big deal about how it is designed to be impervious to interference from plasmas, LCD, and LED TVs.

However, it doesn't seem to work as well as it should. Whenever the receiver is getting a signal, there's a little LED feedback light on it that indicates that it is receiving a signal. When I turn on my TV, the little LED is a steady red indicating that it is receiving something. So much for being impervious to interference! The interference must not be total, though, because I can still control my Sony receiver that is hidden away in a closet. However, I am unable to control my HTPC. I am using a $30 Rosewill USB PC remote control I got from NewEgg to control it.

The work around I discovered by accident is that if I go into my TV power settings, and tell it to turn off the display and then I turn the display back on by pressing a key on the remote, everything starts working as it should. The little LED on the IR receiver turns off and my Rosewill remote is able to control the HTPC.

Anybody have any ideas what could be going on? Did I just get a bum IR receiver? I'm thinking of ordering another one right now so I can mess around with this next week during my Christmas break. Maybe I should try getting another PC remote since like I said I am still able to control my Sony receiver despite the IR receiver getting interference from the TV?

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page