Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Nest Thermostat with Insteon Controllers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrGerm

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  05:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some Insteon devices set up and plan to expand further to include adding a controller like the ISY-99i/IR.

I ordered a Venstar T1800 to see how that works, but I saw the Nest (nest.com) which "looks" cool but otherwise wouldn't expect it to work any better.

I made the fatal mistake of showing the Nest device to my wife, and of course she says "that looks SO MUCH cooler... can you make THAT work with what you want to do".

So, my question is, is there any info on controlling the Nest device with Insteon controllers? I'm not finding a single thing with searching and I'd doubt it with what I know thus far.

Thanks!

Phoenix96

36 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  7:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you use something like an ISY? It is possible to control the Nest via a web service and so commands can be sent through a computer. I've got a simple Ruby program running that controls it, and the ISY could probably be adapted to control it as well.
Go to Top of Page

DrGerm

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  5:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix96

Do you use something like an ISY? It is possible to control the Nest via a web service and so commands can be sent through a computer. I've got a simple Ruby program running that controls it, and the ISY could probably be adapted to control it as well.

I don't yet, but plan on getting one soon. This is encouraging, maybe I'll look into it.

The Venstar unit is installend and working well, but if I find something that could work, maybe I'll experiment with putting a Nest unit in to replace the second thermostat we have (and then if that works well, replace both this way).
Go to Top of Page

firstone
Average Member

83 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  1:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix96

Is there way to read the state? Does device push any events out? Or can you at least poll it continuously?
Go to Top of Page

walter
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  2:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just looked into this, and there's a plug-in which enables the Indigo Pro software to control Nest thermostats. I'm about to try it out.
Go to Top of Page

walter
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Works great. :)
Go to Top of Page

tinkererguy
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  10:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tinkererguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
INSTEON Announces Connectivity to Nest Learning Thermostat March 13 2014
http://www.insteon.com/Press031314.html

I put together a list of related articles:
http://bit.ly/insteonandnest

4+ year INSTEON owner.

Edited by - tinkererguy on 03/28/2014 10:06:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page