Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  07:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2nd day with a remotely controllable 2491T7E starts with the Status shown being the dashes, as discussed in another thread. Clicking Refresh does not pick it up.

Any thoughts? I note that my other 3 scenes in 2 room that I have been playing around with still seem to work.

KeepOnTruckin

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  07:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which other thread?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  08:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8575

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  11:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have an RF receiver such as an Access Point or other dual-band device? How many? Which one(s)?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  6:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now do have 2 access points and the house is not that big--2 finished floors, 1200 sf per floor, fairly square.

Don't ask me why or how, but it did finally find itself--and no problem since. (will see what happens tomorrow) Maybe my wife was on-line on the other computer and the commands were not getting to the stat.... Went to the library and logged onto it from there--no discernible time lags on the refreshes.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  9:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just had the "dashes" problem again. The smartlinc is now at an out-of-state condo, with a lamplinc and venstar 1800 t-stat on it. I was able to connect remotely to the smartlinc, and it showed the two devices, but I could control neither--with everything greyed out and/or with dashes. Friends happened to be using the condo, and via email they indicated that the t-stat was working fine as far as heat goes--that it was running its program.

I asked him to unplug the smartlinc from the wall for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in. After that, it again now communicates properly with the 2 devices.

Does anyone know if there was anything I should have/could have tried, remotely, that might have re-set or otherwise "re-connected" it? I was lucky that someone happened to be there. Since I can generally control it remotely, I am now keeping it colder that I was previously--the down side of which is that if I am unable to crank it up because I have lost the ability to control it, we will be spending that much more time in a cold place...

Thanks.

NGX

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  10:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect the success after power cycling was just coincidental timing rather than any kind of fix. Where is the AP plugged in relative to the SmartLinc? Are the two APs still passing the quad-tap test when you have trouble? Intermittent coupling explains the symptoms.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  10:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It this the first time you've accessed the SmartLinc from your current location since resolving the problem?

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  08:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LampLinc is the only AP.

I have accessed all three modules on three separate occasions since the unplugging/re-plugging of the SmartLinc, and have had full access to all three modules each time.

If you believe it may be a phasing issue, I would be surprised. The building is basically unoccupied most of the week, with nothing that I can think of running that could be bridging.

Just curious regarding that issue: Does the stat need to be phased properly, or need only the AP and SmartLinc be phased right, with the stat IR doing doing the communicating no matter where it is powered from?

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  10:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thermostat adapter communicates via RF only. The dual-band LampLinc can transmit and receive both Insteon RF and power line signals. The SmartLinc is limited to power line only.

In this particular instance, it's necessary that the LampLinc be (1) within range of the thermostat adapter and (2) on the same leg of the three-wire single-phase electric supply in order that the adapter and SmartLinc see each other.

If they are not on the same leg, a second dual-band device is needed, one on each leg.

BTW, as I recall, others have indicated that power cycling the Smartlinc seemed to solve a communication problem.

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I understand, am I correct in saying that the fact that it works at all, with only 1 AP, mean that they are on the same leg? (Again, I am confident that there are no 220 volt appliances running that could be acting as a bridge.)

So I am back to my problem of it having conked out on me. On 12/23/11, I had this problem, as outlined in the first post of this thread. That was literally the 2nd day of having the 2491T7E stat connected and communicating after sending back my 1st, defective, 2491T7E. The problem corrected itself later that day, with my having done nothing of note that I would consider as having contributed to the fix.

After a few days of reliable use in late December, I moved the system to the condo and got it to work with only the LampLinc as an AP.

Now I have had a negative "event", and I am concerned.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  3:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that's incorrect. Intermittent coupling can come from unexpected places--an electric water heater, an electric stove or oven, pool or spa equipment, or even one of these devices operating in a neighbor's house (assuming you share your power company transformer with at least one neighbor). Even without any of these, signals will still attempt to cross phases at the power company transformer but will return on the opposite leg significantly weakened and vulnerable to interference, a condition that is completely and easily avoidable. Having one dual-band device installed on each of the two opposite legs per directions ensures you get a strong signal transmitted on both sides of your electric system.

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  06:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a seasonal area. Most houses are shut down, drained, electric off. You may be technically and literally correct that I might be getting intermittent coupling from unexpected places, but what is intermittent is not the coupling, but the inability to connect (one time only, so far, in 3 weeks), or LACK of coupling, if that were the issue.

And the removal and the unplugging of the SmartLinc, followed by the re-plugging of the SmartLinc and subsequent ability to connect seems more like another issue.

I wish I had tried more things to fix it remotely--although I have no ideas as to what--maybe re-set the network settings or something--rather than going for the easy fix becasue someone happened to be up there at the time.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  07:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your original post indicated you were able to connect to the SmartLinc, but that the SmartLinc wasn't able to speak with the thermostat. That means your LAN was available, your router was forwarding messages to the SmartLinc, and the SmartLinc was receiving and responding. At that point, when you made a status request through the SmartLinc, the SmartLinc was able to communicate with your other devices but was not able to communicate with your thermostat. That confirms that the SmartLinc was still processing TCP/IP traffic, that it was still able to transmit Insteon control messages and that it was still able to process status response messages and update its display, all as expected.

One thing I've learned over my years working with Insteon gear is that, when two Insteon devices cannot communicate, it nearly always boils down to one of three causes: lack of reliable coupling, another, non-Insteon power line device absorbing the power line signal, or another, non-Insteon device broadcasting noise that overwhelms legitimate signals. All three causes can be intermittent, but from what you've written a coupling problem is the most likely suspect. Because coupling can occur naturally and intermittently, you are making a hasty assumption that all are on the same leg of your electrical system. Insteon is the only technology that allows you to resolve intermittent coupling issues as easily as plugging a device into a 110 outlet--it always amazes me when people fight it!

I'm seriously doubtful that power cycling actually changed your SmartLinc in any way, and in fact the first time you didn't power cycle and it started working again later by itself. In my experience, the more likely scenario is that the second time it didn't work, you fussed a bit, then once you tried again the other problem had coincidentally resolved itself and communications with that device were restored. Based on my experience with the SmartLinc, that it communicated after the power cycling was coincidence and not causation.

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  5:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no problem putting a second AP in, and will do so--probably another LampLinc. (Note, however, that this is a 2-room condo with not too many outlets.) But when I do add the 2nd AP, how can I come to know that it covers the 2nd leg, since the system works most of the time anyway?

I now have a new problem. The SmartLinc directs me to a new, strange, unknown-to-me IP address, to which it times out and fails to connect. I have no idea how this address got in there. If I type in the "former" original IP address, it connects just fine.

Any thoughts on this issue, and how to correct it? Thanks.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  5:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note on above post:

I unplugged the SmartLinc from the electrical outlet and re-plugged it in.

It thereafter, sent it to the correct IP address.

Could it be haunted?

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  6:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Each dual-band device includes instruction to ensure that it's placed correctly.

How did you log in to the SmartLinc when you receive an incorrect address? Was the LAN or WAN address incorrect (LAN addresses usually start with 192.168 or 10.0)?

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  6:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I logged in using the settings that I use t log in when I am "not at home"

Not sure re: the LAN v WAN--even when I am at "home" I can only log on as being "not at home". Putting in that I am at home says no SmartLinc is found. I assume I have a wrong network setting in there, but as I am able to get onto it using the "not at home" settings, it does not bother me. Should it?

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  6:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Logging in locally is usually easiest. It's the "I'm not at home," that's often troublesome. What is the result when you select "I'm at home?"

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  7:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says:

ERROR Sorry, cannot find a SmartLinc on your network (public IP address). Please resend your SmartLinc's configuration and try again.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  04:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got up this morning--at the site where the stat is--it again attempts to redirect to an unknown-to-me ip address. 68.193.226.xxx. Now I am perplexed and nervous about whether I will be able to control this when away.

IP config says:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : maine.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b801:53f3:1db:b8bf%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 69.205.11.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.xxx.x
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.205.x.x

Tunnel adapter isatap.maine.rr.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3083:51d:ba32:xxxx
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3083:51d:ba32:xxxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:45cd:bd5::45cd:xxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:xxxx

C:\Windows\system32>

Note that this is a cable modem, wired into the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EP30EM/ref=oh_o00_s00_i02_details

Into the above is the SmartLinc, an IP camera whcih I have had good luck with for a year,and a laptop when we are here.

I can successfully log onto it at: http://74.65.184.xx/

Thanks for any suggestions.

NGX

KeepOnTruckin

Edited by - KeepOnTruckin on 01/21/2012 5:35:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  5:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your cable modem does not seem to be establishing a private (local area) network. Such networks usually begin with 192.168 or 10.0.

What particular modem do you have? Does your internet provider give you a static address?

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  5:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure--I know my network at home, with Verizon, is as you write--192.168.xxx.xx

TimeWarner in Maine--not too sure.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta 2100

NGX

KeepOnTruckin

Edited by - KeepOnTruckin on 01/21/2012 5:36:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm unable to determine how your modem establishes a LAN

http://help.cableone.net/HSD/Modem/PDF/DPC2100.pdf

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  05:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I can usually follow clear instructions, most networking details are beyond my experience level.

This morning, the odd IP info is again where the smartlinc "not at home" directs to--then fails to connect. I am/was still able to get through using the other IP address: 74.65.xxx.xxx. I then unplugged and re-plugged the SmartLinc within less than 5 seconds, and the next logon worked "properly", as before, directing to the usual, successful IP address.

Not sure if this info is relevant, but on another note, the IP camera has "Get IP address from DHCP server" checked. However, when I click the "static" tab, I do find an IP Address of 192.168.x.xxx

Anyway, so long as I can get remote access to the stat working consistently, without negatively affecting the camera consistency, I will be happy. If all stays as it is now, I will be fine, but I have no idea what the thing is apt to do next.

Lastly, it occurs to me that the unit next to mine (the other ground-level unit) has a winter tenant in there, and we share a wall--the wall into which the SmartLinc is plugged. On the other side of that wall is the other unit's TV, cable, and whatever internet-type stuff she is apt to have. The building has only one electric meter.

Thanks for all suggestions.

NGX

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note: Within the hour, when I again attempt to log onto the SmartLinc as being away from home, I am directed to the unknow-to-me IP address.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are plugging the SmartLinc directly into the modem instead of into a router, as per the directions. If you don't have a router or LAN, just the SmartLinc plugged into the modem, that would explain why you are unable to log in using the "I'm at Home" link--because the computer would be attached to the Internet by some other means. (3g connection, neighbor's wifi?) Without a router, the process by which your SmartLinc is trying to register with the network is likely giving your modem fits and causing it to reboot, leading to your ISP issuing a fresh IP address.

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  4:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As indicated above, it is a Scientific Atlanta 2100 cable mode(??), provided by my cable/internet provider. I purchased a "switch":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EP30EM/ref=oh_o00_s00_i02_details

Into which I connect a laptop, an IP camera, and now, a SmartLinc. I don't know a router from a modem from a switch.

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A switch or hub allows a number of devices to connect to the same local area network (LAN). That allows several computers to communicate with each other as well as share resources such printers, etc.

It's also known as a private network because devices on other networks, such as the internet cannot access it. A router provides a bridge between networks. The most common home use of a router is to allow access to internet while maintaining privacy within the LAN.

Some modems include a router. Your does not. Connecting the SmartLinc to a modem w/o a router opens it up to the web. Of course, a user name and password are required, so it's not wide open. A router sans modem should resolve your difficulty.

Go to Top of Page

KeepOnTruckin
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  6:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would/should a router be in addition to the cable modem, or should the internet cable go directly into a router? Would TimeWarner Cable need to be involved?

KeepOnTruckin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No one need know except you. It's your private network. Even you are blocked from accessing it from the web. That's why SH provides a way in and you can access the SmartLinc only when you select, "I'm not at home." Currently, you have no private network - given some skill, anyone in the world can access anything plugged into the modem.

The router creates your private network and is connected between the modem and all your other network devices. Some routers have one out port, some are a combined router/switch and have, usually four out ports. Even a combined modem/router/switch is available.

Modem--->router--->switch (as needed)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page