CM15A replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nflandolfi
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Send nflandolfi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As X10 appears to have abandoned the CM15A, and mine appears to have gone haywire, are there any simple replacements? Something compatible with ActivePro Home would be easiest, but I am so disgusted with X10 after they sent me a CM11A when I ordered a CM15A that I am willling to change systems completely. Very simple needs:
a couple wall switches and lamps need dawn/dusk with offset and or fixed time seven day control. iPad/iPhone compatible would be nice, but I can live with a PC based program. No desire to have a computer on 24 hrs though. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  11:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
switch

lamp

controller

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  11:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, no one else builds a box that is a drop-in replacement for a cm15a--it's a sort of a jack-of-all-trades device/interface that tries to do too much and isn't really up to the task.

You can get simple dusk/dawn and fixed timers from a SmartLinc (but not offsets), but you'd need to use its Custom Commands to send x10 signals. The upside is that it would give you an upgrade path to Insteon as the rest of your x10 gear reaches end-of-life. If you want additional conditional programs/events, you could use an ISY interface with an Insteon PLM that communicates with both x10 and Insteon signals.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  1:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They sent you a CM11A. Gee the CM15K use to be their replacement. Don't know how a CM19A RF Interface and TM751 Transceiver would be a CM15A replacement.

Later versions of AHP can be used on a CM11A and it has limited memory for downloads. I take it the CM11A can't do all you need.
Go to Top of Page

nflandolfi
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  8:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Send nflandolfi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your informtion. Looks like Insteon is the way to. Trying to decide between 2413U and 2412N controllers. Seems like 2431U is more like the CM15A, but the web access 2412N is intruiging; just trying to decide if it is worth $50 extra(which it probably insn't if I never use that capacity). Also is it correct that Insteon can control X10 hardware, but it is not straightforward? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  9:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2413U requires something to control it - software on your computer, or an ISY. It's not going to be a drop-in replacement for the CM15A. You can get HouseLinc with the 2413UH for $20 more, a pretty good deal if you need software. HouseLinc has the advantage of managing all the links in your system and doing elaborate macros, but only while the computer is running.

The 2412N is a stand-alone device. You access it via web interface. It doesn't do link management and while it does timers it doesn't do anything more elaborate. There is software that will work with the 2412N but it's not required.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  10:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HouseLinc is currently the only software that can manage SmartLinc links.

Go to Top of Page

bugzme
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  2:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nflandolfi

As X10 appears to have abandoned the CM15A, and mine appears to have gone haywire, are there any simple replacements? Something compatible with ActivePro Home would be easiest, but I am so disgusted with X10 after they sent me a CM11A when I ordered a CM15A that I am willling to change systems completely. Very simple needs:
a couple wall switches and lamps need dawn/dusk with offset and or fixed time seven day control. iPad/iPhone compatible would be nice, but I can live with a PC based program. No desire to have a computer on 24 hrs though. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

You're kidding, right? The CM11A is worth as musch as solid gold right now - you could either sell it for more than you paid for the CM15A or easily get a trade!!
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not too sure a CM11A is worth its weight in gold.
An independent X10 dealer had X10 make them a production run of 2000 CM11As. They still have 1849 left and they are <$30.00.

Later versions of AHP where modified for CM11A use but it seems to have issues.

Edited by - BLH on 04/03/2012 5:00:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

zazzmaster
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X10 currently has the CM15A. Limited quantity.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/cm15a_complete_new_2012.html?EM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  7:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't miss the promotion or you'll have to pay $459.92.

Go to Top of Page

danncas
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bugzme

quote:
Originally posted by nflandolfi

I have both the old and the newer usb controler I'm going to ditch X10 all together. I have started to phase it out.

You're kidding, right? The CM11A is worth as musch as solid gold right now - you could either sell it for more than you paid for the CM15A or easily get a trade!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page