New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeyspencer
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been using a 1132cu PLC with smarthome manager to control x10 devices at a car wash, mostly with pum01 universal modules as garage door strikes, with a few light switches and wall receptacles.

the PLC failed, and i ordered a 2413u dual band PLM to replace the 1132cu, but it's not as simple to install, and the smarthome manager software won't seem to connect. would the 2414u PLC have been a more suitable replacement, or can this 1132 be replaced at all? do i need to buy insteon software instead? i'd rather keep using the smarthome manager software, as my folks control the car wash remotely using pcanywhere, and the smarthome manager was quite easy to use, and i was well satisfied with it.

many thanks

joey

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you determining that the 1132 failed, vs. just power line noise interfering with signals? Power line interference is pretty common with x10 gear these days.

Your hardware and the Insteon devices you mention are completely different product lines and not designed to be compatible with each other. If the 1132 is in fact dead and you want to continue to use the same software, you'll need to track down another 1132cu.

You are posting this on a user-to-user forum. Try contacting Smarthome to see if they have any old stock; if they don't, you might watch to see if someone is selling a used device on ebay or elsewhere online. Absent that, you'll have to look at upgrading to more current hardware like the ISY.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

joeyspencer
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i determine it's failed because none of the devices respond anymore. the software still seems to connect to the plc, but it doesn't seem to transmit anymore. i can't rule out interference, but it has worked near flawlessly for years, and nothing has changed in the setup. i also brought the plc to a different computer, and still none of the x10 devices respond.

is there a pretty user friendly software that i can use with the 2413u and the x10 devices i currently have, fitz? i notice the universal modules i use as door strikes are discontinued at smarthome (still some available elsewhere) , and only insteon devices to replace them. if/when these fail, i may have to move to something else either way.

tks again
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  5:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd return the 2413u and pick up an ISY kit (the kit would include a 2413s and a power supply) instead. The ISY is a robust controller that won't require a computer to stay running--you can look in on it from anywhere using a smartphone and you can make changes to the programming locally or remotely using an Internet-connected PC. Perhaps the most important feature in your application is that it supports counters, so you can have programs or email notifications activate automatically either by date or by number of operational cycles to alert you about required service intervals.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  9:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want to play with free software a bit before making a decision, you can try mine: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9875

I'll let you judge pretty and user friendly for yourself. I admit I tend towards information-dense. However, it will work with the 2413U, and it will control/monitor X10 (as well as Insteon) including timers, responding to sensors, etc. And it's free. You can email me or post in that thread if you need help figuring it out.

There may be other free software that will work, I don't know of any though.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

x10parts
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  3:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit x10parts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a few of the 1132cu with software in stock if you need one. I know smarthome discontinued them but I love this device. x10parts.com

X10parts
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  4:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still use my 1132CU for X10 signal testing and line monitoring.
Too bad Smarthome never updated the Smarthome Manager to install in Vista and above or to do the new DST dates.
Though there are workarounds for both issues.
Go to Top of Page

Monts
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  8:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1132 Resurrected

After attempting all the troubleshooting steps I realized my 1132cu finally bit the dust and I found that they are very difficult to find and replace. I decided to open the unit and noticed a very slight bulge on the top of one of the black capacitors. An associate had a spare 50 V 470uf matching capacitor so we soldered it in.

Much to my surprise, the unit is working again as new. So once this unit fails, all may not be lost. You have nothing to lose, open up the unit and check the two black capacitors for any sign of bulging.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page