New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drgracr
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  11:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a way to control our carport lights remotely. My wife hates getting back to the house after dark when she's alone or just her and the kids, so she want's to leave the lights on when she knows she'll be back after dark (2 double carports, 4 ceiling fans). I would like to be able to give her the ability to turn the lights on from the car, either using the HomeLink button in the car or by using an app on a smartphone. These are the only lights I'm interested in controlling. I would like to replace the existing switch with something that gives me remote control (the switch is a standard wall switch, behind a 3 switch plate).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Kyle

stusviews

USA
11449 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  11:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Homelink already has what you want (search their site) or you could simply replace the light with a motion sensing light fixture.

Our home is Insteon equipped, so we use an Insteon solution of which there are several. A no-cost Insteon app is available.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

drgracr
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I'm looking at the Insteon 2412N controller and the ToggleLinc 2466SW switch. From what I'm reading, this should be all I need right?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11449 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  1:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The products you selected is a good choice to begin your Insteon network. We prefer a hands free solution when driving. That involves an Insteon motion sensor and an access point or other dual-band device. But you can add that later.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

drgracr
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I intend for her to use this would be after she's already in the driveway, I don't want her driving and using the phone either ;) Thanks for your input.
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

581 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  8:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about a dual band insteon switch and a remote linc

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 12 KPLs, 27 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, Lamp-linc, 4 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page