INSTEON
 Port Forwarding my Smartlinc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

techwreck

34 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 3-year-old Smartlinc and I want to learn about Port Forwarding, how to do it --- and WHY I need to do it. I've never really seen it clearly explained. Is there an article out there I can read that will explain how I can Port Forward my Smartlinc on a Linksys Router?

Also--my Smartlinc is 3 years old. I've updated the firmware. Is it still okay with the newer switches?
Thank You.

TechWreck

stusviews

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  3:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everything you need to know about port forwarding: http://portforward.com

Also, your SmartLinc will work with the newer devices.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

gangolfus
Average Member

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  6:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Port forwarding allows you to access your SmartLinc when you are away from home. How exactly it is done varies by router. It is not something you NEED to do, only something you can do if remote control is desired.

Edited by - gangolfus on 01/29/2013 6:50:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  10:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
gangolfus is correct, it's not required, not even for remote access. Port forwarding increases security and more.

Go to Top of Page

razemania
Average Member

75 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  09:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Having a similar problem.

When I attempt to access my SmartLinc away from home, it appears to connect to my home network, but after looking for the SmartLinc I receive the following error:

"Local Error: No network connection available. Remote Error: Unable to connect with the SmartLinc."

My port forwarding information in the SmartLinc and my router set up are the same - all appears to be set up correctly. I followed the instructions using portforward.com. It's like I can connect to the router and it forwards to the SmartLinc but can't find it.

Do certainly ISPs block the ability to do this?

I've tried ports:

Thank you again everyone.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

razemania
Average Member

75 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  10:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I try to contact Gold Line support for this? I'm just not sure if it's a configuration problem or the ISP blocking me.

Does the port matter (besides it being a unique number)? portforward.com says the Smartlinc uses port 80, but I think the default was a different number.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by razemania

Hi,

Having a similar problem.

When I attempt to access my SmartLinc away from home, it appears to connect to my home network, but after looking for the SmartLinc I receive the following error:

"Local Error: No network connection available. Remote Error: Unable to connect with the SmartLinc."

My port forwarding information in the SmartLinc and my router set up are the same - all appears to be set up correctly. I followed the instructions using portforward.com. It's like I can connect to the router and it forwards to the SmartLinc but can't find it.

Do certainly ISPs block the ability to do this?

I've tried ports:

Thank you again everyone.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The default port for a SmartLinc is 80. List of Ports to avoid

Go to Top of Page

razemania
Average Member

75 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  3:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The default port for a SmartLinc is 80. List of Ports to avoid

Wow, thats a big list...
Go to Top of Page

emiliograveran

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  08:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good information given by everyone above me.

I like to use this tool to make sure the port I opened in my network is open.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

razemania
Average Member

75 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So as silly as this is to admit, I thought I would share it for future reference.

As I was trying to set up my SmartLinc, I completely forgot that we got an Ooma last year. Of course the Ooma sat between the modem and the hub. Once I moved it behind the firewall, it worked! I used port 25005.
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  10:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to port forward so that I can access my hub away from home. Called the Goldline and they told me they couldn't help other than telling me I should use port 25105. Called uVerse and after 3 techs and 3 hours they said that they opened 25105 but the port checker indicated it was closed. They blamed it on the hub being a plugnplay. ????. Went to the web site referred to on here earlier and it replicates what uVerse already did but I went through the same steps with the same results of it being closed even though my router page says it's open.

I'm able to go to www.connect.insteon.com and see my devises and camera. You can turn devises on and off but you can't control the camera from that site but I still would like to connect via the app on my iPhone.

UPDATE: Well to add insult to injury I had noticed after uverse got done with me last night and I was throughly disgusted with the whole process that in look at my router status for each devise that it was associated with that the hub showed as not connected even though it had been connected prior to this fiasco starting. I took it upon myself to do a network reset in which you press the reset button a number of times on the hub and it responds by beeping and flashing. I then checked my router and it showed that the hub was now connected again. Problem was that doing the port check it still showed 25105 as closed so that didn't help my overall problem but I felt a little better knowing that it at least showed as connected. Fast forward to this morning and my outside lights didn't turn off at sunrise, my inside lights didn't turn on at the designated time and I just tried changing an off time for my kitchen lights to turn off in a couple of minutes to see if that would happen and it did. I'm still able to turn them on and off by way of the app but I also noticed that when I turned the lights off from 100% they did go off but the app shows them still on at 85% and when I again turned them on they came back up to 100% but again the app shows them incorrectly at 15%. I'm now going back in to the program of each light and without actually changing anything hitting the save button to see if that has any effect on future schedules. I think I'm just digging the hole I'm in deeper and deeper.

Edited by - kilo32 on 02/02/2013 07:35:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  1:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone using the Hub with uVerse and having issues with port forwarding?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page