Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Obiwanharris
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  05:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am trying to find a home automation solution that will enable me to the following to start with. did consider a Raspberry pi with OpenHAB but think I would struggle with the coding. Is there a product and or interface that would easily let me do the following. Thanks for your help :)

I wasn't to place a motion detector outdoors on the rear of my property that turns on an interior light if an intruder approaches. i only want the light to stay on a set amount of time. I want some control of when it is active and not active, like only during the hours of darkness for example.

Thanks,

Julian.

Obiwanharris

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3550 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  10:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An insteon motion sensor along with insteon switch could, potentially, be all you need. The motion sensor has some basic controls, such as during darkness only, and time out period can be adjusted to some degree. Other factors that could come into play are distance between sensor and switch, as well as wiring at the switch location, but this would be a good start.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5516 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  12:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember if you do try Insteon.
Verify you get the models made to the UK standards.
Like 220 Volts 50 cycles and the Insteon RF frequency allowed in the UK.
Go to Top of Page

onesmarthome
Starting Member

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  05:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit onesmarthome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey,

Check this post this post http://onesmarthome.net/smart-home-openhab-2-raspberry-pi-installation/
Rgds Thomas

http://onesmarthome.net
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
704 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  05:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that's all you want, any external PIR motion detector will do the job. You'll buy them in just about any hardware store (usually they come together with lights) for maybe $30. Some allow you to locate the lights away from the sensor and put them inside the house, you can connect an internal lamp parallel to the outside ones - the possibilities are countless without spending tons of money on automation devices. Raspberry Pi is very powerful, but an overkill for what you want to do. If you plan to expand into full home automation and not skilled in electronics, including programming, buy a ready made system such as Insteon.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page