Insteon enunciator?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1114 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  5:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have a stand-alone driveway sensor. It doesn't work quite as well as I'd like because my driveway is short and so occasionally it picks up street traffic. I also can't use it to trigger anything. I think I could sense driveway motion better with an Insteon Motion Sensor.

However, the standalone unit (along with my standalone Mail Alert and standalone Garage Door sensor) has one attribute that makes its continued use attractive: I can put the receiver in the middle of my house and everyone can hear when it is triggered. Each device has a loud tone-based enunciator with a unique pattern.

If I had a motion sensor, I would have no easy way to audibly notify people when a car was in the driveway, as I don't have a whole-house speaker system.

I use X-10 chime modules around my house to distribute the doorbell, but it has only one pattern so it has limited use. What would be REALLY nice would be Insteon modules that can produce a variety of loud tone patterns, allowing me to 'distribute' the enunciation through the house. Then, if I could replace my mail alert and garage-door sensors with Insteon sensors, I'd truly have an integrated system.

is there anything like this out there that doesn't cost a bundle? I would think they could make a multi-pattern Insteon Chime module for the same $35 as the others cost...

thanks
/j

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  5:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though such hardware is not currently available, you could roll your own using an IOLinc to turn a bell or buzzer on for a few seconds.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1114 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  7:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) expensive
2) difficult to get multiple short patterns

Although, to your credit, it's a solution that doesn't suggest SH is lacking, or that they need to do anything 8-}

Am I the only one who thinks good audio cues are part of a good home control system?
/j
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  7:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to add your suggestion to the list here: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=163

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page