|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 11/06/2014 : 10:24:30 PM
I'm in the midst of renovating a 3 bedroom condo and am about to buy a niles mrc-6430 audio controller but I don't think it's the best match to suit my needs. Please see the list of requirements and let me know of a system that has a nice iphone/ipad app that will do everything I'm trying to do. I know of a lot of different solutions that can do this but I'm really looking for a device from 1 vendor that can do all of the things below (in order of importance) and is not a huge pain to install/program.
1. Control multiple audio zones - 3 different zones of audio for 3 rooms controlled by 1 device
2. Control somfy motorized shades. I have 3 different windows with remote controlled somfy shades. They plug into a/c power and are controlled by somfy remotes.
3. Control air conditioner thermostat remotely
4. I"m also setting up all 5 cable boxes in a wiring closet and running hdmi over ethernet so there is no cable box needed near the TV. I don't really need to centrally control this but would be nice to have if I want the option.
5. Play audio from the TV in a room to the same speakers in that room - I'm thinking this will be expensive and complicated...
|7 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 11/08/2014 : 12:12:10 PM
If each IR extender is attached to the front of the corresponding cable box, then you should be OK.
AFAIK, all thermostats are easy to control manually.
INSTEON devices can enable smartphone integration of the various components.
||Posted - 11/08/2014 : 07:29:53 AM
My plan is to put TV's on the wall and run IR extender and mount the boxes in the closet so only the TV is showing on the wall. I also will use ethernet and hdmi baluns to connect the TV's. So I'm confused as to why 1 remote will control all 5 boxes.
About the thermostat comment-I just don't want something very complicated and difficult to make basic changes on the thermostat itself...
||Posted - 11/07/2014 : 11:31:33 PM
I'm confused. You wrote, "let me know of a system that has a nice iphone/ipad app that will do everything I'm trying to do," and also, "Just has to be easy to adjust the thermostat itself for old school people. I don't want to have to open an app to reduce temp by 2 degrees..."
And, yes, both are accomplishable.
That all 5 cable boxes will be in the same area and use the same remote means that a change from any remote will affect that same change in all zones.
What is the make and model of the thermostat that you want to replace?
There are smartphone apps for the Somfy RTS shades you have, but all require additional hardware that interfaces with your router.
What is you budget?
||Posted - 11/07/2014 : 10:06:50 PM
Thanks, I will check that Russound out.
2. The Somfy looks exactly like the one you just described! There are 3 of them.
3. Yes, nest looks good. Just has to be easy to adjust the thermostat itself for old school people. I don't want to have to open an app to reduce temp by 2 degrees...
4. Yes, I can use same remote. If not, I will get the same exact box for each room so I can control from an iphone if I want to but at the same time be able to use the cable tv remote.
||Posted - 11/07/2014 : 3:24:35 PM
Russound is my choice for whole house audio unless you want upscale audio. That'll take care of distribution for 1 and 5. There are less costly choices depending mainly on the quality of sound, but also features.
BTW, to set up 5.1 channel TV audio to speakers in the same room, just run speaker wire from the receiver to each speaker. There are also wireless 5.1 speaker systems.
2. Describe the Somfy remote. For example, it has up and down arrows and a My button between them. It has four lights below the down arrow and a selector button below the lights.
3. A Nest thermostat is quite up-to-date. It that what you want to replace?
4. Can you use the same remote for each cable box or is there a specific remote for each cable box?
||Posted - 11/07/2014 : 2:47:11 PM
Thanks for your reply.
1. Audio should be selectable from each zone. So a TV in the living room would play on the living room speakers and the bedroom speakers would play audio from an ipod. 1 room = 1 zone
2. Not sure, I know it's a somfy remote controller for 3 different shades.
3. Will find out thermostat model but I'm thinking the nest.
4. Atlantic broadband cisco cable boxes with IR remotes
5. 5.1 audio will suffice
||Posted - 11/06/2014 : 11:12:39 PM
1. Same audio to each zone or selectable from each zone? Is zone equal to room?
2. Somfy RTS, ILT, SDN, other?
3. What is the make and model of your current thermostat?
4. Which specific cable boxes?
5. Do you mean 5.1 or 7.1 audio? This may be the least costly and easiest to accomplish.