Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Google nest

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sailorman3 Posted - 02/21/2020 : 12:59:10 PM
Good Day,
I’m slowly putting smart home items in my house. My next purchase is a thermostat. I’m leaning towards the Nest. The question I have is this. I heat my home with a heat pump. The nest will work with the heat pump, however I also have a auxiliary heat source in the form of a wood stove on my main level. I set my thermostat to 20C. When the wood stove is going and warms the house to that temperature, the heat pump shuts dow like it should but leaves my bedroom a little on the cool side. If I was to use the nest and also put a temperature sensor in the bedroom, will the heat pump stay on and heat the room, even after it hits 20C in the main floor. If anyone can help me answer this it would be appreciated.thanks.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lowell Posted - 02/21/2020 : 4:38:00 PM
Sailorman - If you don't get a satisfactory answer on the thermostat, I have a simple re-engineering answer that you may think about.

I would consider installing a small auxiliary fan in the ductwork that feeds the bedroom. If you connected the power to that fan through a smart switch and added a temperature sensor in that room, you could pull warm air from other areas of the house through the existing ductwork to warm the bedroom. A small fan shouldn’t interfere with your existing HVAC system and if you shop well, you should find something to fit that would not be noisy and pull just a small amount of air – keeping it all slow and simple. This idea should be fairly inexpensive to both purchase and operate. Your smart devices could work in concert with your other systems and programing should be fairly easy.

I use a simple door/window contact that also has a temperature sensor built-in. I use 2 of these in my workshop to signal the air systems in my two-story workshop. When the upstairs gets too warm one sensor triggers a smart relay to run just the fan in my modified furnace for the building. I only use the furnace heat as emergency heat if the temp gets too low for my mini-split system. The second sensor tells me if the outside air drops below a certain level in the wee hours of summer mornings. When that happens, the outside incoming air damper opens, the whole house exhaust fan and it’s damper comes on and opens, and the furnace fan starts up. The result is fresh air flowing into the building cooling the building and changing the air out at the rate of 5 whole building changes an hour. The furnace fan has a very large pleated filter that cleans the air in the building. There is also a pleated filter in the inlet air damper.

I said all that to show how you can control systems you design with smart devices through simple engineering.

Mahalo

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page