Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Integrating Smart Deadbolts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spektyr Posted - 08/22/2019 : 11:56:42 AM
I haven't found something I can specifically determine does what I want a smart lock to do.

Features I need:
Has to have manual lock/unlock on the inside, preferably on the outside too.
Has to be at LEAST as secure as a basic deadbolt. No simply bypasses, vulnerabilities, or exploits. Too many smartlocks can be easily defeated by idiots.
Integration with Google Assistant or Alexa, with the ability to only allow locking of the lock by voice command.

That last one is the real issue. I haven't been able to determine if any smart lock allows for separation of the lock/unlock privileges. "Alexa, lock the door" is fine. "Alexa, unlock the door" should do nothing. Because none of the assistants can be trusted to always differentiate between an authorized and unauthorized voice.

Ideally the locks would also connect to WiFi on their own rather than requiring an additional hub, and should not cost a ton of money.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions for this?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smarthomefocus Posted - 04/15/2020 : 04:25:38 AM
Reading this message, I think the Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt meets all of your needs.

1. You can manually lock it from the inside and it has key access from the outside.
2. The deadbolt is BHMA/ANSI Grade 1 certified, which is the highest residential rating and better than most smart locks.
3. It works with Alexa or Google Assistant. You can lock the lock with a simple command, but you have to use a voice PIN code to unlock.
4. The lock is WiFi and doesn't require another hub, which was listed as a preference.

Another benefit of this lock is that is works with Ring Doorbell. There are a few more options if you are looking for locks that integrate with Ring Alarm. You can see some here:
https://www.smarthomefocus.com/smart-locks-that-work-with-ring-alarm-and-ring-doorbell/

Overall, I thought the Schlage Encode met all the requirements you were looking for in a lock. Seems like a great choice for you.
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 12/10/2019 : 09:29:58 AM
The August Connect WiFi bridge is required to use August locks with Alexa or Google, whereas the August HomeKit-compatible locks will relay Siri or Home commands via Bluetooth and a nearby Apple TV or iPad.

The Alexa and Google skills require you to use a PIN code to UNlock by voice so that random people can’t just stand outside your home and yell through a window to your Echo to unlock the door.
Mark102179 Posted - 12/10/2019 : 08:25:57 AM
I have two of the August Smart Locks, and love them.

The only thing on your list that they don't do is connect directly to WIFI without a bridge. The SmartLock Pro has Zigbee connectivity so if you already have a SmartThings bridge you can connect it to that. If you don't connect it to some sort of bridge you will only have bluetooth connectivity.

I haven't connected mine to Alexa, but do have it connected to Google, and if I remember correctly you can separate the lock and unlock commands. I may be mistaken on that though. I have mine turned on and to unlock it requires you to give a pin # before it will unlock.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page