Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 low voltage control

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
greentree Posted - 01/03/2021 : 10:14:43 AM
are there any smart home products that provide dry relay contact closures for low voltage systems, that can be programmed for momentary on/off, and timed closures?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vekokit877 Posted - 01/28/2021 : 08:19:16 AM
I use the ISY-994 and it seems to control (and configure) the micro module. Theoretically, it can configure the momentary time below 2 seconds. Unfortunately, I have not performed any tests to confirm, like BLH.
oberkc Posted - 01/07/2021 : 09:22:47 AM
quote:
I would seriously consider the isy994 controller. Very much not interested in paying an annual subscription for the phone app to control it.

I understand. I am generally of the same mindset. There are mobile app options that do NOT require a subscription (I now use "UD Mobile") but could depend on whether you use android or iOS. I still use mobilinc pro on iOS devices. Having said this, the use of mobile apps with ISY can require a bit more work, since many are not cloud dependent. You may need to configure static IP addresses and port-forwarding rule in your router.

Having said these things, I have partly moved to the dark side and now pay for the UD portal subscription. I have been playing around with Alexa and google home hubs and this is, by definition, a cloud-based interface. The UD portal subscription is a pretty good deal compared to most others, so I go ahead and choose to do this based on the capability that is offers me. It is a nice bonus that it also makes mobile apps easier to use.
greentree Posted - 01/07/2021 : 05:24:00 AM
I would seriously consider the isy994 controller. Very much not interested in paying an annual subscription for the phone app to control it. I know the older app is a one time purchase, but I’m guessing that isn’t supported any more? Using the web interface to configure is fine, but day to day use needs to be ultra simple to use
oberkc Posted - 01/07/2021 : 04:18:49 AM
quote:
So which controller would work? I need access from phone app to turn things on an off, using momentary (< .5 sec) closures.

I use the ISY-994 and it seems to control (and configure) the micro module. Theoretically, it can configure the momentary time below 2 seconds. Unfortunately, I have not performed any tests to confirm, like BLH.
BLH Posted - 01/07/2021 : 04:09:19 AM
I did a test with a 2450 I/OLinc, Continuity Sounder and an ISY994i.
ISY994i Firmware 5.0.16C.
I/OLinc revision V2.4, Firmware reported by the ISY994i as V.41.
I could set the Momentary Mode to A, B and C.
Momentary time from 0.0 seconds to 25.5 seconds. Default was 2.0 seconds.
I was able to hear a slight change with the beeper. Between a 0.1 and 0.2 second setting.
The modules relay has a 10msec Max operating time and a 4msec Max release time.
So how accurate and repeatable the short momentary is. I can not say and could vary from what I found.
greentree Posted - 01/06/2021 : 9:24:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

The 2450 I/OLinc will not work either. Manual says 2 to 24 seconds.

I saw that too. but that is being configured locally. i read somewhere that with software configuration, it could be configured to as low as .2 seconds. but not clear which controller or app could do that. or if that was an "error" in the documentation I read. and I tried calling insteon support. they arent answering phones. not getting a good feeling about insteon.
BLH Posted - 01/06/2021 : 3:00:19 PM
The 2450 I/OLinc will not work either. Manual says 2 to 24 seconds.
greentree Posted - 01/06/2021 : 09:30:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Smertenit also has a 4 output dry contact module. X10,Insteon and Wi-Fi enabled.
It would also need a controller to do much.

The I/OLinc can be set to have a momentary relay closure.

Unfortunately, Smertenit has a minimum 2 second closure time. far too long for my application. But thanks for suggestion
greentree Posted - 01/06/2021 : 09:28:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

Insteon IOLinc can do this, but you may also need a brain/controller/hub to do anything useful.

I've read conflicting info in insteon description of hub, it says support for ioLinc is "planned", or its not supported by the apps, except by the legacy apps, which are no longer supported. ioLinc description says minimum local config of momentary delay is 2 seconds, which is far too long. (need .5 or less seconds). but if legacy app is unsupported, I have no assurance everything will work. So which controller would work? I need access from phone app to turn things on an off, using momentary (< .5 sec) closures.
BLH Posted - 01/04/2021 : 03:29:01 AM
Smertenit also has a 4 output dry contact module. X10,Insteon and Wi-Fi enabled.
It would also need a controller to do much.

The I/OLinc can be set to have a momentary relay closure.
oberkc Posted - 01/03/2021 : 6:42:19 PM
Insteon IOLinc can do this, but you may also need a brain/controller/hub to do anything useful.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page