Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon dimmer switches and IR control

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
noithatgooccho Posted - 01/07/2021 : 11:19:18 PM
Hello,
I need to update my system. I have old X10 dimmers that don't work so well anymore. I want to go with Insteon but I want to be able to control them with my home theater IR remote. I currently use an X10 IR543. I assume that wont work with Insteon dimmers?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BLH Posted - 01/10/2021 : 03:22:52 AM
Many of the presently sold Insteon devices. Have dropped X10 support and will no longer work with X10.
The Insteon RF never worked with X10 commands only Insteon ones.
robinsharma Posted - 01/10/2021 : 02:44:04 AM
X10 uses powerline networking to send commands to switches. However, commands go only in one direction--from controller to module--and they can sometimes not reach the destined module due to interference. Also, there is not feedback loop, so the controller can't tell if a command was received and acted upon.
- Insteon also uses powerline networking, but also adds RF (radio frequency) connectivity to create a wireless system. It is backward compatible with devices that use the X10 standard.
- Z-Wave uses a proprietary, low-power RF signal to wirelessly send commands from the controller to modules. It's been adopted by more than 200 manufacturers worldwide-- including Black & Decker, Schlage, Wayne Dalton, Leviton, and ViewSonic--enabling you to more easily mix and match components from different companies when setting up your home automation system.
- ZigBee uses an internationally recognized RF signal standard, but most home automation systems that use ZigBee require contractor installation.

The Insteon, ZigBee, and Z-Wave technologies utilize a mesh network solution, which means that the devices within the system can talk to one another and act as repeaters for commands. Also, the more devices you have connected to the system, the more reliable your system will be.

---------------
oberkc Posted - 01/08/2021 : 04:08:53 AM
Most insteon devices responded natively to X-10 for a while, but I understand that capability may not be there in many of them. The standard rocker switch dimmer does NOT advertise X-10 anymore, for example. I have heard some say that the support is still there, but not advertised or described in the manual. I cannot say whether this is true for the devices you would want.

There are controller/hubs out there that could still recognize X-10 commands, and be programmed to turn on insteon (or other types) of switches in response. The one I use (ISY-994) could directly receive the IR commands from your remote, even, and respond as programmed.

I also cannot help but wonder for how long you think you will be using your current remote and relying on IR and X-10 receivers for control of your lighting. I perceive that integration between remote and lighting to be moving to network-based communication. It seems to me a good idea that, whatever solution you decide, that it is part of a path towards the network communication.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page