Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Intercoms & Phones
 Cell phone at home question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GregE Posted - 10/24/2012 : 04:31:45 AM
This forum has some of the techiest people I know so I thought I would try my question here.

I've decided to get rid of my home phone since we all have cell phones. I've found some devices to connect to a cell phone thru bluetooth to allow you to use your cordless phones thru a cell phone when you are home. I'm looking for recommendations on products that work well. Is anybody doing this? If so, what are you using?

Thanks

Greg
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
oberkc Posted - 10/24/2012 : 07:06:15 AM
I have used a panasonic bluetooth system, as well. By itself, it works well. Unfortunately, I had transition problems with between the car and panasonic system. The car sits in the garage. When I get in the car, the cell phone was still linked to the panasonic systm. As I drove away and lost the link to the panasonic system, the car would often fail to pick it up. I found that the only way my car would consistently connect was when the phone was not connected at the time I started the car.

The opposite was also true for me...I found that the phone did not consistently transition from car to panasonic. In the end, I spent far too much time trying to figure out why things were not working that I simply made the choice that I preferred the bluetooth to work in the car as a higher priority than in the house. My panasonic system is in my ever-growing box of unused gadgets.
Chris Fox Posted - 10/24/2012 : 06:34:05 AM
Although we never dropped the landline, we do use the bluetooth link-to-cell feature at home and love it. We started with the Panasonic KX-TG7644M (often on sale at newegg). I liked the handsets overall and the features on the base station were good; however, it would not reliably work with my wife's iPhone 4S. The sound would periodically get pretty bad and I saw others having the same issues even on the newer 774x version.

So we recently switched to the VTech DS6421. It supports up to 12 handsets (vs the 6 from Panasonic) and, more importantly, works with both the iPhone 4S and my Droid. It does claim to support 4 bluetooth devices, but only 2 can be active at a time (the Panasonic supports 2 as well). The sound quality isn't as good as the Panasonic and the handsets feel cheaper, but we can live with that...

Chris

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page