Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 3-Way Dimmer Help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
flipdiggity Posted - 05/26/2014 : 9:09:46 PM
I replaced my existing (working) 3-way dimmer switch in my hallway with two Insteon 2477D. My original setup had one dimmer switch at one end of the hallway and a regular toggle switch at the other end. I'm using LED lights and they for sure worked with my original dimmer and toggle switches.

I got my voltmeter out and found out what wire I got 120V from. I'm calling this box #1. Box #2 didn't have any voltage that I could read when I had the power on and used the voltmeter.

Box #1
Original (Dimmer)
- 2 white wires - capped inside box (no connection to the switch)
- 2 black wires - capped (black from inside box and black from switch)
- 2 red wires - capped (red from inside box and red from switch)
- 1 black & 1 red/white - capped (black from inside box and red/white from switch)

Box #2
Original (Toggle - No Dimmer)
All wires directly connected to the switch - no caps
- 2 white wires - capped inside box (no connection to the switch)
- 1 black wire - connected to a unlabeled screw on the switch
- 1 black wire - connected to a lead screw labeled "Common" on the switch
- 1 red wire - connected to a unlabeled screw on the switch

I followed all the instructions from the Insteon 2477D manual and ended up with the following.

Box #1
Insteon (2477D)
- 3 white wires - 2 original capped within box and 1 from Insteon switch
- 3 black wires - 2 from inside the box (originally not capped together) and 1 black from Insteon switch
- 1 red wire - from inside the box - capped by itself
- 1 red wire - from Insteon switch- capped by iteself

Box #2
Insteon (2477D)
- 3 white wires - 2 original capped within box and 1 from Insteon switch
- 1 red & 1 black wire - 1 black from inside box and 1 red from Insteon switch
- 2 black wires - 1 black from inside box and 1 black from Insteon switch
- 1 red wire - from inside the box - capped by itself

When I turn the power back on both 2477D dimmer lights on the face of the switch light up. However only box #2 controls the lights.

I see a few problems:
1. I can't get it to dim - is there some trick to this? When I press the Insteon switch in box #2, the lights go to full blast or when I press it again they turn off. Is there some trick to this?

2. Switch in box #1 doesn't turn on/off/dim lights - I can see the lights on the face of the switch go up and down when I press the button on switch in box #1 but it doesn't do anything.

3. Crosslinking - I'm not using an Insteon hub to link these but rather will eventually use the Revolv. I haven't added these devices to my Revolv but I was under the impression that I didn't need that to have the dimmers work and the 3 way switch to work.

A couple of questions:
1. Did I get the wiring correctly?
2. Do I need to crosslink them for them to work together?
3. How do I get the light to dim instead of just turning on/off?
4. How do I crosslink them using the Revolv?

Thanks in advance for the help. Just bought 9 of these switches and I have 4 3-way switches so I need to figure out how to get this going.

--Felipe
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
oberkc Posted - 05/27/2014 : 10:46:28 AM
don't get your hopes up. Apple, and smarthome, seem to like to keep things rather proprietary. And, I have not seen any indication that insteon was (or is) "certified" by apple for any HA purposes.
flipdiggity Posted - 05/27/2014 : 08:03:54 AM
@oberkc - that worked. Thanks for the tip.

Now waiting to see what Apple is going announce next week. Hope it works with Insteon devices.
oberkc Posted - 05/27/2014 : 03:55:09 AM
Insteon scenes are quite flexible, and responder levels can be set very low (or even zero). This means that when a controller of a scene send out an ON signal, the responder would go to (or stay at) zero. I suspect this is your problem.

When you make switch 2 the controller and switch 1 the responder, make sure you initially set switch 1 levels to full on (or whatever level you wish it to go when switch 2 is pressed ON). Scenes and responder levels are described in the user manual. If you have not read about those, I suggest checking it out.
flipdiggity Posted - 05/26/2014 : 9:59:48 PM
Update #3 - I cross linked switch #2 (pressed clear button on this one first) to switch #1 and then I cross linked switch #1 (pressed clear button on this one first) to switch #2. Both switches do allow me to control and dim the lights. The dim light indicator on the face of the switch works in almost all cases except:

Lights Off
1. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 0% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 0% - when I turn on switch #2, the lights turn on but the indicator on switch #1 is still at 0% instead of 100% like switch #2.
2. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 0% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 0% - when I turn on switch #1, the lights turn on and both indicators are at 100%

Lights On
3. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 100% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 100% - when I turn off switch #2, the lights turn off and both indicators are at 0%
4. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 100% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 100% - when I turn off switch #1, the lights turn off and both indicators are at 0%

What is happening with scenario #1 listed above?
flipdiggity Posted - 05/26/2014 : 9:32:59 PM
Update #2 - Once I crosslinked the switches it worked. All I did was press the clear button at the bottom of switch #1 and then pressed the clear button at the bottom of switch #2. Now they both control the lights and they are dimmable. I was also able to connect them to the Revolv with any issues.
flipdiggity Posted - 05/26/2014 : 9:15:59 PM
Update: I figured out how to dim. Just had to hold down the button rather than press it. All other questions still valid.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page