Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 How to reduce power consumption at garage ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
donnabates Posted - 07/31/2015 : 04:30:12 AM
Power consumed at a commercial garage is usually high. Sometimes the bills freaks me. Iím trying hard to reduce the power consumption but not very effective. I plan to reshape my garage storage[/url] so that more natural light can pass through reducing the power consumption considerably. I am thinking of reshaping the interior and exterior of the garage to give it a fresh look by hiring a interior designing company. I doubt that whether it is a good idea or not. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you!
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jack_summers Posted - 06/18/2019 : 7:43:39 PM
What I find funny is that so many people install insulated garage doors, but yet the walls & attic space above them aren't.
The best system IMO is a detached garage with a covered walkway, which will not only help eliminate numerous screw-ups, but worries & issues with CO poisoning.
Solatube (and others) are great for garage lighting.
talkbusiness360 Posted - 06/10/2019 : 05:28:15 AM
For Making Your Garage More Efficient. Seal the Doors. The connecting door between the garage and the main house can be a big energy drain. Insulate the Garage Walls. Insulate Your Garage Door. Insulate Outlets and Light Switches. Insulate Your Windows. Caulk Cracks in the Walls and Floor. Insulate the Concrete Floor.
Amanda Gil Posted - 05/20/2019 : 07:55:49 AM
Natural lighting is of course very good. But you did not think to install a light bulb? They shine very well, but at the same time they consume little electricity.
MichaelCarter259 Posted - 11/01/2018 : 04:19:19 AM
One time investment use solar panel than u will get rid of bills.
Autonow Posted - 08/09/2018 : 11:42:19 AM
Other than all the above suggestions...
I had a customer with several large power hogs to the point if he turned them all on at once he would exceed hes electrical service supply.
We installed some current alarms on his electrical system to alert him is the power exceeded a certain level. It helped stopped tripping breakers and made him ore aware of his electrical use.
krystians Posted - 12/10/2017 : 2:08:13 PM
Hi , I was looking for a cheap and DIY way to reduce power consumption .
I had some ideas changing bulbs to LEDs but that was still not enough.
I was searching internet to find something interesting and guess what ...
I found it. You can find many good ideas and ideal solutions on
https://www.smarthomegeeks.co.uk/

You should check this out, I am sure this will help.

Krystian
jetfulfilled Posted - 11/27/2017 : 11:35:07 PM
Natural light coming from the outside will save power costs.
ayazfudugo1 Posted - 11/23/2017 : 8:54:44 PM
If you want to reduce power consumption at garage then use alternative sources of energy saving and power. The best way to save energy is to contact energy consultants they suggest you the method how to save energy and reduce power consumption.
affordablewindowsofaz12 Posted - 06/02/2017 : 9:18:56 PM
My suggestions is to go for energy efficient windows like Double-Hung or Casement windows which is the perfect option to let go the air and light into your garage.
wickrush Posted - 02/24/2017 : 01:43:32 AM
way to improve garage energy efficiency https://learn.compactappliance.com/garage-energy-efficiency/
sym420 Posted - 02/17/2017 : 05:46:41 AM
I use natural light in my garage after i replaced my florecent lights and the lighting makes a huge difference. It looks like a whole new garage and much more brigther than before.
Chazbot Posted - 09/20/2016 : 12:38:15 PM
http://www.ecoairanywhere.com/files/117184818.pdf

If you are exchanging air in a working garage you will likely benefit from one of these. At the correct size you will recover 70-90% of the energy of the exchange between incoming and outgoing air. A slight positive pressure in the building overall and eliminate the drafts you will notice the energy savings.
Kyile Rey Posted - 06/10/2016 : 04:17:10 AM
check this link, it has several great ideas https://www.progress-energy.com/carolinas/home/save-energy-money/energy-saving-tips-calculators/100-tips.page?
Kyile Rey Posted - 06/03/2016 : 04:23:47 AM
using natural lights is great idea
KennethMan Posted - 04/12/2016 : 01:28:18 AM
Decrease the standby power consumption of the other components in the appliance. Because the standby power consumption of the low-voltage power supply is proportional to the amount of power it supplies at any given moment, decreasing the power it provides to the other standby components decreases its own standby losses as well.
EVIL Teken Posted - 01/06/2016 : 09:11:31 AM
As others have stated there are many things that impact the energy bill and in no specific order: Insulation, Air Exchange per hours, HVAC efficency, lighting, and any other high amperage devices being used.

If this is a automotive shop its not like you can turn off the compressor when its under use. The only recourse is to increase the size of the holding tank which will reduce the amount of on time. If (Human) wants to stay toasty warm at 75'F during the dead of winter and the GDO bay doors are constantly being open.

There isn't anything you can do besides hurry the guy who's driving the car into the shop to move as quick as possible.

But as I stated up top this basic scenario impacts air exchanges per hour. You simply can't expect your heating bill to be low if a busy place of business is always opening / closing the bay doors.

The list is endless but the basics have been provided which anyone should really consider.
AmyRivera Posted - 01/05/2016 : 11:45:18 PM
Hi there, I agree that natural lighting will help you or try out big ceiling light.
yogasystems Posted - 08/03/2015 : 12:14:09 AM
Maybe you can share us the details of the garage (size, materials, and possibly the bills!)
stusviews Posted - 07/31/2015 : 2:09:52 PM
Increasing natural light will certainly save on lighting energy. But, if it's a commercial garage, then it's unlikely that lighting is a major source of power consumed.

What other electrical devices are used in the garage?

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page